Chapter 39: The only way

You ended up spending the rest of the day talking with Loki in your room. You told him everything that happened during your meet up with your mother and he had no words to say back to you. He thankfully turned up to be very understanding about your decision and was very supportive.

"You understand though that now our time is quite more limited." He told you.

"Yes..." You stuck your eyes on the floor.

Not you nor Loki spoke for a few seconds. There was an obvious tension in the room but none of you wanted to acknowledge it. You understood that along with your time to get rid of Frey, your time together could be limited as well. You really didn't want to think about it but it surely was a possibility. This could very well be your last hours together before she...

"Please don't think like that." Loki suddenly interrupted your thoughts.

"I'm sorry, you weren't supposed to hear that." You sighed.

"You can be quite loud when you are anxious." He let out a small laugh.

"Though you have to admit that it could happen." You told him sadly.

"You can't know that." Loki shook his head.

"Yes I can." You suddenly stood up and looked at him. "Loki this situation is bad and as far as I know we don't have any solution. I am trying to be optimistic but it's just too hard."

You then turned your back at him and walked to the window. A few tears started running down your cheeks as Loki slowly stood up and walked next to you. You both gazed at the beautiful view of Asgard without saying another word.

You were sure that deep down Loki knew you were right. He knew that you were heading towards a dead end and there were no more loop-holes for you to take. To this day you had never thought of how it was all going to end; on the one side you had never expected it to be so soon in your life but on the other you also had never expected your life to get so beautiful so fast.

"May I ask you something?" Loki suddenly spoke up with a calm and steady voice.

"Go ahead." You smiled.

"Do you remember the first time we were left alone together?"

"Of course, the others had a mission and they left me and you behind." You laughed remembering the happy times. "Why do you ask?" You turned to look at him in confusion.

"That day Stark handed you a pair of handcuffs in order to prevent me from using my magic and hurt you but you refused to put them on me." Loki turned to look into your eyes. "Why didn't you?"

"Excuse me?"

"Why didn't you make me wear them?"

"You're not an animal Loki. No one deserves to be treated like that." You answered him dryly and turned back at the view.

"But I was dangerous and you knew it."

"Loki, what is this?"

"Did you trust me then? Like you trust me now?" Loki asked desperately but you felt so confused at that moment, you didn't even know how to answer his question.

What exactly did he want to know and why now?

What was up with him?

You tried to recall something that you could've said to him to upset him but couldn't think of anything. Loki was never like that. But then it suddenly came to you; it wasn't something you had said.

"Loki what she said-" You turned around to look at him but he cut you immediately.

"Was the truth." He sighed.