Chapter 16: A tour to Asgard

After getting in terms with what had just happened you and Thor rushed back into the dungeons to get Loki out. You ran down the stairs and came across the same two guards again but this time they let you through and told you someone was waiting for us to set Loki free. You gave them an ironic look before getting in.

The place was not at all how you had imagined it. It was a long corridor with many cells on the left and on the right that looked more like rooms. The prisoners were not held behind iron bars, but they were contained by a weird looking yellow energy field. You continued walking forward until you arrived somewhere around the middle of the corridor only to see Loki sitting in a couch inside a cell, reading a book.

Seriously? Here too?

You were so excited to see him. You looked at him for a few seconds, but he was too lost in his book to notice you. When he finally acknowledged you he left his book aside and quickly came to stand opposite of you on the other side of the energy field.

“What are you doing here?” He asked with a worried tone on his voice but at the same time a small smile on his face.

“It’s good to see you too, Loki.” You smiled at him. “Come on, get your stuff you’re leaving.” He looked at you in disbelief.

“You know I’m being held here right?”

“No shit Sherlock. You father said you are free.” You said as the guard let down the energy field.

Loki stood still for a second and then came out of his cell. You wanted to hug him so much, but still you couldn’t. After you gave him a few seconds to adjust you started walking out of the dungeons. Loki kept asking you how you were feeling and apparently ‘great’ wasn’t a good enough answer for him, not that you minded him caring so much.

When you walked up the stairs and headed to the rooms Frigga appeared in front of you. As soon as she saw Loki she smiled and hugged him as tight as she could, and he hugged her back. You could see now how much he loved her and how she was feeling the same. You really liked their relationship, they reminded you of you and your mother, before she died.

Frigga talked to the three of you for a while and then told you that she and Odin were hosting a fiest that evening. She said they wanted to honour the arrival of their sons and you as well. You were really caught off guard with this, but you also quite liked it and you were indeed honoured. But before that you had about five hours and you didn’t intend to spend them stuck in a room.

“We should go see Asgard.” You said to Thor and Loki.

“We have seen Asgard, many times.” Loki said and you gave him an ironic smile.

“Come on, you have told me so many stories about this place. I want to finally see it.” Loki sighed and thought about it.

“Brother is worried of what people might say about him.” Thor said.

“No, I am not.” Loki quickly objected.

“Oh, you’ll be fine.” You told him.

“Fine.” He said and you looked at him with a huge smile.

You all got into your rooms to get ready and after half an hour you were standing at the front doors of the castle ready for a tour through Asgard. You were extremely excited about it, after all the stories Thor and Loki had told you, you couldn´t wait to see Asgard for yourself.

Once you were all at the front doors you were ready to go. Thor said they would get you to the city were everyone was living and maybe the forest, even though Loki kept saying that it was too dangerous. After that you had arranged to go with him to the library and look up some more things about your powers. Since you learned that the door in your mind was shield with Asgardian runes you both got way more suspicious, but for the moment you just wanted to focus on the tour.

You got out of the castle and after about ten minutes you were inside the city and it was gorgeous. It really wasn’t how you had expected it, it was even better. The city was literally made of gold and you were already in love with it. While you were walking, some people were stopping to talk to Thor and welcome him home, completely ignoring Loki. That made you a little sad, but he only gave you his iconic eye-roll. Soon you had arrived in the market of the city which had everything: food, spices and even clothes. It was really beautiful, and everyone was extremely nice to you. You actually talked to a couple of people.

At some point you turned around only to see the two brothers looking at you and smiling. You looked at them with a confused face, but they didn’t stop.

“What?” You laughed.

“Nothing.” Thor said and looked at his brother.

“Loki.” You looked at him too and crossed your arms in front of your chest.

“We are just admiring your excitement.” He laughed.

“Well yes, because this place is great!”

“We are glad you like it.” Thor said.

You turned around again and started walking when you spotted the most beautiful flowers you had ever seen. They looked like white roses with dark red colour on the ends of them. You had never seen anything like that on earth before. You approached the stand to observe the rest of the flowers. The owner had her back turned to you, so you just asked Thor and Loki about the different kinds of flowers. They were all so beautiful and smelled incredible, Loki knew more about flowers than Thor and also more than you would have expected, so he answered most of your questions.

“So, you like flowers I see.” The owner of the stand spoke up and slowly turned to face you.

“Yes I-“

You froze the moment you saw the face of the woman and she froze as well. You kept staring in he eyes intensively and she did the same. Your eyes were filled with terror, as if you had seen a ghost, which you had and she was shocked, scared, not knowing what to do or say.

“Y/n? Are you okay? Who is she?” Thor asked you worried.

“Y/n, say something.” Loki placed his hand gently on your shoulder.

“Y/n-“The woman spoke, her voice was high and soft.

“Mom?” Your voice was cracking and you were trying too hard to hold back your tears.

Both Thor and Loki looked in shock, they didn’t know what to say or do. Meanwhile you and your mother kept staring at each other.

“Y/n, what is going on?” Loki finally asked.

“Please come with me, I know a quiet place.” You mother leaned over and said.

Without saying anything you nodded and followed her. You turned around to look at the two brothers who were equally shocked and confused. You gave them a sign to follow you. Your mother was walking a few feet in front of you without even looking back at you. Finally, you arrived at a quiet place behind the market and she turned around to face you.

“What are you doing here?” She finally said.

“Excuse me? You are the dead one, remember?” You were starting to get angry.

Your mother didn’t say anything, she just sighed desperately and looked at the floor.

This was crazy. You were probably still ill; you were still hallucinating. You had to be! Your mother was dead, for about ten years now, you had buried her and cried for her, for years. Seeing her here was just impossible but at the same time you had so many questions.

What had happened?

How had she ended up there?

Was she okay?

“I know you have many questions.” She finally said. “But I can explain I promise, just come to my house so we can talk calmly.” She tried to grab your hand, but you took it away.

“No. Just tell me now. What happened? I saw you...die. I mourned you, I cried for you.”

“I know...”

“You left. Why?”

“I had to.”

“Why?” You were now shouting at her because you were furious.

“Y/n, just...please.”

“Just tell me!” Your eyes were now filling up with tears. “Why did you leave me and dad?” You were yelling and your mother was looking at you in terror.

“Because of you!” She yelled back. Your eyes opened widely. “I didn’t...I didn’t mean it like that. You just had so much power and I tried to help but...”

“But it was easier for you to just leave me.” Your voice was dripping with disappointment.

“Sweetheart it’s not like that.”

“Don’t call me that. After what you did, you don´t have the right to call me that.” You said coldly while you felt your eyes burning as the anger inside of you became stronger.

“Y/n...” Loki place his hand on your shoulder and your quickly turned your head to look at him. “Your eyes...They are purple.”

You immediately closed them put your palm in front of them.

“Sorry...” You said calmly and took a deep breath.

“That’s what I mean. You can’t control this power, that’s why I locked it away.”

With this you opened your eyes again and looked at her again with an angry expression.

“You did what?”

“I locked your power from you with magic, so you wouldn’t be able to use them.”

“You have magic? And you were the one to lock mine away?”

“Yes but- “

“I almost died because of you!” You screamed.

“Y/n- “

“No. Shut up! You don’t get to talk to me after locking away my magic, leaving me alone and pretending to be dead for more than ten years! Do you know what I’ve been through? What you made me go through? I was alone!”

“I didn’t leave you alone.”

“Ah yes you left me with my father, who couldn’t stay sober an hour straight after you died and barely acknowledged my existence. Thank you, mother!”

At that point she really seemed shocked, she truly didn’t know how it has been for you. Her thoughts were pretty loud, but you managed to ignore them. You had so many questions, but you couldn’t stay and look at her a minute longer. You needed to get away.

You turned around and started running away from everyone. You didn´t care where you were headed, you just had to get away. Thor and Loki tried to stop you, but it was pointless, you pushed them away and left. You needed to be alone for a moment, you needed to process.

You ran away from the crowd and out of the market. You were running for about ten minutes until you were far enough from everyone. You found a quiet place behind some houses and sat on a bench while catching your breath. You then looked up and started processing what had happened, trying not to cry, which was pointless. Within a few minutes countless tears started falling off your eyes and running down your cheeks. You buried you face into your palms and started crying as hard as you could, wondering why this all was happening.

Why were these things happening to you? You didn’t understand anything and you just wanted to scream. Suddenly out of nowhere someone appeared next to you. You quickly turned around only to see Loki sitting on the bench.

“What the-“You looked at him wide eyed and in shock.

“I can teleport.” He said.

“Well, that’s new.” You looked back down on your hands.

“Are you okay?”

“No.” You said with a weak smile and eyes full of tears.

“Hey...”

“Don’t tell me that it’s going to be okay, you know it’s not.”

“I do.”

A few seconds of silence passed by and then you snapped. You stood up and started shouting.

“How could she do this to me? I was her daughter! She just walked away because I was ‘dangerous’. Did she even try and help me? Did she even want to? How could she do this to me? How- “

Suddenly Loki stood up and with a quickly move he took you into a tight hug. You didn’t resist, you really needed a hug at that point. You stayed like that for a few minutes, it was nice. You buried your face into his warm chest and sobbed for a while. You managed to let most of your feeling out and when you were finally feeling better you pulled away and wiped your tears.

“Thank you.” You said with a low and calmer voice.

“Are you feeling a bit better?”

“Yeah, a bit, I think.”

“Good, should we go back to the castle?”

“Yeah...” You looked around for a second and realised you couldn’t spot Thor; Loki had come alone. “Hey, where’s Thor?”

“He, umm...” Loki’s voice trailed off, you knew he was hiding something.

“Loki, where is Thor?”

“With your mother...”

“What?”

“She was pretty upset when you left, he stayed to comfort her and- “

“She doesn’t deserve to get comforted. She left me, Loki.” You cut him.

“I know but she seemed very sorry.”

Suddenly you realised you could hear Loki, but not his voice, you could hear his thoughts. That was weird and great at the same time. From the moment Frigga had unlocked the door and you had let go you were feeling so much more powerful. You were also quite proud of yourself; you were finally able to hear the mysterious and mighty God’s thoughts, not as clear as you could hear the others’ though, but still it was a start.

You could hear him think that the way you had talked to your mother wasn’t exactly the best.

“You think I was a little harsh?” You asked him and he seemed a little shocked.

“You can- you can hear me?”

“Yes actually, I just realised I- “

“Please don’t.”

“Okay...You have something to hide?”

“It doesn’t matter, in a little your tricks won’t work anymore.” He turned his back on you.

“Okay that’s rude. I’m not exactly having the best day either, I don’t need you to be an ass too!” You turned your back too and a few moments of silence followed. This was the first time the silence between you and Loki was not at all pleasant. He felt the same way too.

“I’m sorry.” He turned around and said with a soft voice “And yes I do think you were quite harsh.”

“Well there is nothing I can do now.” Your voice was now sharp and emotionless.

“She wants to see you tomorrow.”

“No.”

“Y/n- “

“I said no. Besides we are leaving tomorrow.”

“Okay what do you say we leave that for now and think about it later. We have to return now.”

“My answer will still be the same.”

Loki sighed but didn’t say anything. Deep down he perfectly understood how you were feeling. The rest of the way home was mostly silent again, but you were back to the relaxing and very comfortable silence you usually had. You liked it. You turned to look at Loki and couple of time and smiled, he even smiled back once. It was really nice. The only thing that worried you was that you couldn’t hear his thoughts anymore. He had made the barrier around his mind stronger now that you were more powerful.

Why would he do that? What would he hide… from you?

You knew perfectly well Loki wasn’t exactly an open book but what could be so bad that he had to hide from you so badly? You decided to just let it go for know, you felt like if you kept pushing, something bad would happen. For now, you left the matter aside.

After just a few more minutes of walking and comfortable silence you had arrived at the palace and made your way on the second floor where the rooms were. Loki left you to go to your room and he headed to his. Once you were in your room and had closed the door behind you, you fell on the bed and your previous thoughts continued to haunt you. A few more tears fell down on your cheeks before everything went black and you fell asleep.