Chapter 13: The illness

When you opened your eyes again you were laying on a bed in the tower's infirmary, you certainly had not missed that. You looked around and saw Tony and Bruce chatting silently on the corner of the room with their backs turned on you. You took a deep breath and tried to sit up but the room was still spinning so fast.

Bruce and Tony noticed that you were awake and quickly came to you.

"Hey kid. How are you feeling?" Tony asked you.

"Well, fine I guess."

"Hey could you put this one please?" Bruce handed you a thermometer and you putted it inside your mouth.

Both Tony and Bruce were now acting very weird and were moving quite fast around the room. They were both very nervous and you knew something was very wrong. You tried to ask them what was going on but they would just tell you that you needed to stay still and silent and that everything was going to be fine so you decided to get into their thoughts and find out for yourself. You closed your eyes and focused on their minds but nothing happened. That was odd, this usually worked and without you even trying that hard. Your head started spinning and hurting so much more that you stopped and opened your eyes again.

Bruce can quickly and took the thermometer off your mouth a looked at it. Then he turned to Tony in concern, whose face got so pale once he saw the number too. They both looked at each other and then back at you trying to seem and act normal but they didn't succeed.

"Ok, guys you are scaring me. Just tell me what does it say." You said.

They knew that they could not hide from you for long so they approached you slowly and with an awkward smile on their faces. Tony handed you the thermometer and you noticed his hand was shaking while doing so. You quickly took it from his hand and looked down at it and what you saw shocked you.

"No, it must be broken."

"It's not  broken y/n." Bruce said.

"Bruce 105.8°F is not at all normal temperature!"

"Your temperature has been like that since yesterday."

What exactly did he mean since yesterday?

"How long have I been sleeping?" You asked them.

"Almost a day."

Your heart was now beating like crazy and you found yourself having trouble breathing. Your eyes started filling up and within a few seconds tears were falling off of them. Tony tried to calm you down and assure you that everything was going to be fine, and deep down you knew it too you just could not stop crying. When you were finally able to speak you told them that you were fine and that you were going to be fine and you just needed to rest. They agreed and left the room so that you could relax for a while.

Once the door was closed countless more tears started running off your eyes. You were feeling a huge void inside you, something you had never experienced before in your life. In addition to that you soon realised that you could not use your powers anymore and you had no idea why. You took a few deep breath, trying to calm yourself down but you were not at all successful. You managed to stop the crying but the awful feeling was still there. You closed your eyes and tried to get some sleep, the only thing you saw was darkness.

You had been out almost a day and everyone knew it wasn't just an illness. Bruce and Tony tried to hide the bad news until they were sure but their faces didn't help.

Soon they had to share all their concerns and informations they had on your condition so far.

Everyone was extremely worried about you and they all tried to figure out what to do. They all came up with all shorts of ideas but untill they knew exactly what you had all they could do was wait. Of course most of them didn't agree with that, even Loki objected, but in the end Bruce and Tony took the final decision.