Chapter 20: The vault

Your question kept floating in the air, unanswered while the silence between you and your mother became worse than ever. You were starting to get angry, because you really needed answers and she owed them to you.

"I thought you came to talk. If we are not going to do the talking part, then there is no reason for me to stay here." You stood up to leave but your mother stopped you.

"I had to leave." She started and you slowly sat next to her again. "Your father and I weren't getting along very well and my mental state was getting worse with every day I stayed."

"So much that you had to move to another planet? And by the way since when are you Asgardian?"

"Since ever y/n. Where do you think you got your powers from?"

"Is dad, really my dad?" You were scared to hear the answer to that question.

"Yes, of course!"

A long pause followed after that. You were thinking about so many things at the same time. Your mind was racing, you needed to know so much more and you had even more to tell her. But no matter how many questions you had, only one kept echoing inside your head:

Why did she leave?

"Why did you leave? And please don't say to get away from dad because divorces are a thing, too."

"Y/n..." She tried to explain but you didn't let her.

"If you couldn't stay with him anymore you could've filed for a divorce. Or if you needed so much to leave the planet you could've taken me with you!" You yelled desperately.

"I was trying to get away from you!" She instinctively yelled back without thinking about what she said. When she realised the words that came out of her mouth, she tried to take them back, but it was too late. You had a shocked look on your face tears burning behind your eyes, trying to process things.

"Why?"

"Y/n, you were just so much powerful. It was already hard for me to help you control it. It drained me more and more every day." She tried to catch your hand, but you pulled it away immediately. Your mother sighed and continued. "As you grew older your powers grew with you and that scared me. I knew that sooner or later I wouldn't be able to control it anymore, that was when I thought of locking them away but- "

"Oh of course, the locked door inside my mind."

"You know?"

"I almost died because of that!" You started shouting again and stood up.

"Y/n you were dangerous, you still are. How did you break through my spell?" You mother stood up as well.

"Frigga did it. Unlike you she cares about me."

"I didn't know then, I do now. Y/n we must lock that door again, we can get in there and do it together. I can help you properly this time and then you can come and stay here, with me. We could be happy together."

You turned to look your mother dead in the eyes. You really couldn't believe this woman standing in front of you was your mother. She didn't use to be like that; she was a sweet and loving woman and she loved you so much. That woman would never fake her death and abandon her child.

Only by the look on your face you mother could see that you weren't going to accept her offer, or even consider it. You stood up and gave her one last look before walking away. She stood behind you for a while without saying a word, watching you walk away, unable to do anything. You closed your eyes and a few tears ran down your cheeks. You focused on her mind and heard what she was thinking. It was only one thing: