29: Serendipity

Janice*

The throbbing in my head numbed me to such an extent where I could even feel the aspirin taking it's dear time going down my oesophagus. The water seemed irritably cold, just similar to how I felt sitting in a silk robe and damp hair whilst Tzuyu did my makeup.

She was all-ready, glammed up and everything else one genuinely is before something that is so very awaited. Something like a very first prom of-course.

But could I say the same about me?

The past few hours were a complete blur. A complete chaos in the eerie silence of this house. I had almost forgotten about the prom had it not been for Tzuyu asking me
"So will you still go to the prom?"

The word "still" did something to me, something that relates to an irking anger.

I couldn't comprehend whether it was a rhetorical statement or not but sensing the bluntness of her question she corrected her statement hesitantly-
"I mean that .. it's that do you think that you'll be alright for...."

Before she could finish I had already answered her not bothering about whatever it was that she thought I couldn't deal with, even after all this.

"I'll go."

She always knew what was coming up at me. They always knew because they were told every freaking thing about my life. What had happened and what is going to happen. Everything.

It's like my destiny is being written here, in the Park mansion. Michael holding the ink tracing all sorts of unwanted filthy luxuries in my life and his two legitimate kids suggesting him how to deepen the meanders of misery.

Even she had known that it was my mother, or whom I considered was my mother all this time, in that room.
Why does everyone have to be so melodramatic?!

I had been through way more shit than she will ever be, so I will deal with this too.
This is what I told myself when I had walked past her to my room.

But then the revelation dawned on me. Like a massive avalanche which I couldn't escape, not even when I had the ability to teleport, because the brutality of the truth numbed me to the core.

What do people do when they are told that all the little things that were their only important reality which they treasured the most, were a lie to begin with?

I had read plenty of books where the protagonists discover the truth about their existence suddenly, where their life takes a one eighty-degree turn.

They turn out to be a wizard, a shape changer, a shadowhunter or a princess but all I can see myself turn out as- a complete scapegoat.

I had cried my eyes out when I hit the bed. All I did was shed tears. It was painful to have been told that I never had a mother, by the very person whom I have been calling 'mom' all this time.

But what more painful and terrifying was how I sort of expected myself to turn out like this. How it didn't matter to me the way it would have affected others like me. How it seemed to me like sunrise and sunset. Natural.

Was my life so obviously fake?

Tzuyu hissed and that brought me out of my bubble. She eyed me angrily but her eyes softened as I looked at her confused. She took a cotton pad and dabbed it under my right eye and when I looked in the mirror I realized what was it that made her hiss.

I had messed up her work as a tear had slipped down my eye when she was putting the mascara on my lower lashes.

"I'm sorry "
I mumbled lightly to which she responded with a soft
"it's alright. I'm almost done."