45: spin off

dedicated to harman7890

it is honestly dark, in my writing-situation right now. i have less readers, and no matter how many times a writer says-
"i only write for inner peace,
not for gaining readers",

there is always a small part, even the tiniest bits, that aches for a little attention by someone out there. that dreams of a little-precious-someone, who as eagerly waits for us to upload as us writers tend to be ..... at times....

thankyou HARMAN and AASHU ashvita17, and all my silent readers, who have me going! thank-you from the bottom of my heart<3

this chapter's for you~ 

_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_

Astound, straggled, disheveled.

Bring in a thesaurus and Jeongguk would still find himself unable to explain the state of his mind at the moment. But the closest word he could once again relate to was heart broken. He could say the word was his an old friend.

 His body was covered in goosebumps. He wasn't sure if it was because of the cold seeping through the wet shirt or because of what Janice had just told him. She just stood there, by the windowsill, her hands folded against her torso.

The draped covers prevented him from having a glimpse of the outside world, but he was sure that the night was reaching its peak. He looks her in the eyes. Searching for any sort of emotion. Helplessness, heart-break, anything. But all he gets is a plain rueful smile on her lips. 

 It kills him to witness how she could still smile, when he was there diluting in the thin, tense air, as if her words just prickled his body like millions of tiny needles. It was that smile of hers. Which had kept him in the assumption that she was happy.

And even today, standing in the middle of an unknown house's living room with a broken arm and drenched shirt, he couldn't ignore how beautifully that smile was still finding its way to tell him it was all fine. 

"They say," he speaks, even though he barely knows what's going to come out of his mouth next.

"They say the most beautiful smile hides the darkest secrets. I guess they are right." An uneasy chuckle erupts from his throat, creating a tight knot in his chest as he wishes to wake up from this terrible dream.

 He balks, inhales lethargy and exhales wishes. He wishes to wake up with her beside him eleven years ago, and not to receive any phone call from a hospital. With his parents reaching home safe, with Janice and him going about their days normally. But he couldn't fight the reality. He had tried and had lost, gambled and been beaten, still finding himself at the point of disbelief.

 "I'm sorry." She says, reaching out to him with timid steps, anticipating him to step back. But he doesn't. In-fact it is her proximity that he aches for just as much as she does and when she places her hand on his cheek, wiping away the tear that even he himself didn't know he shed, with her thumb he leans into her. 

 "You should've told me." He states. By now their eyes glistened with tears, but the obliterated souls refused to let them rush out.

 "I know." Her words were mere whispers, fanning his face with what he could presume to be regret and impuissance.