32: A formality

Janice*

Not even half the people who gather during happy ceremonies attend the funeral of a bad person.

On the contrary, a surprisingly larger number of people show up at the funeral, genuinely showing heart-felt condolences when it's for a nice person.

The question was, what category should Nathaniel Wrethmier be kept in?
When around a dozen men stood there next to his body, a four men spoke on what kind of a person he was for around thirty seconds each, his son taking the least time.
A few more gathered up till his body was brought near its resting place, and the priest started the final prayer.
Nathaniel finally bid this world his last goodbye with his opulent coffin being lowered down into the ground.

The few drops of holy water that the priest sprinkled, were probably more than the amount of tears people would shed for him altogether.

It was supposed to be a gloomy day, like how anyone would picturize a funeral as, but it wasn't.
The atmosphere was loud, with the sun shining it's brightest and people following their daily routine as usual.
Even William, Nathaniel's only son didn't bother to decline his work call when it was time for him to throw the dirt on the coffin. He probably bid his father off this world with as much feelings as he brushes his teeth with.

Too much? I know. But that's what it is. A formality.

The burial was kept a covert deal. Selected people were called and informed but now it was the time to let the news flow like the latest one, which holds the strength of deafening the bustle of the city morning in not only Birmingham but in the entire UK itself.

I could make out William's lips as they mouthed, "yes, inform everyone." , he paused for a moment listening to the person on the other side of the line as he studied me making my way towards the car. He took a sharp breath before asking "do I really have to?"  

There was a look of disapproval in his expressions as the call ended and I reached there. He opened the door for me for which I muttered a thankyou, and he strode to the other side of the car. 

Once in the car, he informed his secretary Burke, to message all his relatives about the news through his personal number, a gesture he should have made himself but no, and probably this was what he looked disappointed about earlier, and not me walking slowly whilst he stood there at the car door for me. 

Back at the mansion, everything was just the way it was last night. Officers had informed us to not to alter anything until the investigation was proceeded, so William decided to recide in the  guest house for the time being, thus that's where we headed. It was a big one, the guest house, given that important foreign clients would usually stay over. William had it built with a special exquisite touch.

The lounge was prepared to hold a  funeral ceremony for the relatives who would now start showing up. Though it was a short notice but a message in the name of William had the power to bring them on their knees. This was just a funeral ceremony, they'll have to show up for the camera and having their name in the list of well-wishers of the Wrethmiers in the following news reports. 

The irony is that, it was just yesterday when Nathanial threw a banquet party at his office building for the new project success and here we are, the very next day arranging a  funeral for the tycoon.

The garden in-front of the guest house was prepared accordingly, more number of white lounging chairs were placed along with a descent buffet in the shed area, which surely is going to be left untouched by the guests, but again, formalities, cared for or not, are necessary to be dealt with. 

The scene infront of my eyes, the funeral arrangements were like a bygone memory. It was just five years ago when there had been a similar incident. But the only difference was that it had affected me terribly, and it still does, but today, for Nathaniel it probably doesn't affect anyone.