Ch. 47 In Edinburgh

The sound of groans brought me back. My head was thumping and I too groaned. I felt something move next to me and felt hair on my face. I breathed out, a warm felling flowing into me. "Hey" I sat up and opened my eyes. "Hey love, are you okay?" "Yes, I'm fine. How's your head? I looked up but could see nothing. It was pitch black. A few seconds later, a smell passed through my nose, a smell of.. rubbish. I looked around but could only make out the silhouette of objects which were piled all around us. Sirius groaned again, but not because of his head. "I think-" he shuffled again and it seemed like he had gotten up "-we ended up in a dump.". I scrunched my nose and tried to feel the ground for stability. I heard Sirius mutter 'rank' under his breath and I had to agree. Sirius searched for me in the dark and finally found my hand and shoulder. "Welcome to Edinburgh." he encouraged me and I stood up, now more balanced and comfortable in my step. I looked around, something wasn't right. 

"Where's the rest? Where is everybody?" "Don't bother looking , I already did. There's no one here. Apart from the rats." as if to encourage his claim, the rubbish bin next to us squeaked. "Poor rats, living terribly in this world. " I said. "Wormtail would be mortified." Sirius finished and I nodded, only later realising that he couldn't see me. I looked to the only light, the' light at the end of the tunnel', about 10 meters distant from our standing point. People were passing and there was a quite bustle. I grabbed for Sirius' hand and nudged towards the light. "Let's go, we have to find the others".Sirius was walking towards the light before I stopped him. "Wait.If we're really in Edinburgh, we can't go out looking like this-" I pointed to his dirty sweater and muffled hair. 

"Scourgify"

Sirius now looked clean and I felt a fresh mist pass my body.

 Sirius put a hand on my back and began walking to the street again; there had been enough light from our wands to see, but as we now came into the stream of people on the broad street, we were again, now simultaneously, stunned into silence. 

Edinburgh at night was beautiful. I was aware that we were on a mission to find our friends and maybe, maybe go out dancing later, but I was still impressed by the sheer mass of people who flowed towards the festivals of light which played out in front of us. Unbeknownst to us, we had travelled to Edinburgh on the night of the grand reopening of the Edinburgh Playhouse and were now witness to the grand splendour which came with such an opening; fireworks, dances, music and a big circus with an even bigger Ferris wheel decorating the skyline. "I do love magic-" "-but this is something else." Sirius finished and when I turned to him I could see the lights reflecting in his eyes. I laughed heartily and grabbed his arm. "Let's go mister, we've got friends to find." "But later, we're going on that ferris wheel." Sirius nodded earnestly and I laughed again. "Sure, let's go." I pulled the fazed Gryffindor from the crowd and faced him. 

"So, plan of action; we find out where we are and then send a message per magic  to the others and hope they find us- or send something back." I explain to Sirius as we squeeze past more people in costumes (the parade was behind us), funk outfits and colourful toys. The cigarette buds were the real danger though, as many were trying to get a smoke in before they got to the attractions. "I love this place, though it'd be more fun with magic." Sirius whisper- yelled in my ear and I laughed, not being able to turn around to see him, his hand the only thing in my view. I was dragging us along against the stream of people, which was exhausting and terribly difficult. "You know what'd make this whole thing even more fun?" I exclaimed after getting a breath in with the masses starting to die down. "Enjoying all of this with our friends, who are safe and sound." I felt Sirius pull my arm and spin me around. "Hey hey, slow down." he put a hand on my cheek and looked at me straight in the eyes, while people bumped into us left and right. "It'll be fine. We'll all be fine, it'll work out, okay?" he looked at me reassuringly. "I'm scared as bonkers too, but we have to stay calm now .Or else we won't find anyone, or a way out of here." I nodded and took his hand firmly. "Okay then, let's go."