Ch. 25 Train Ride

I'm doomed. Like properly fucked.

People cheerfully pass me as I walk towards the Great Hall, smiling and being jolly. "Merry Christmas" is thrown around the air and I just want to leave. After my little story time with Sirius I was dreading the day the Hogwarts Express would stand at Hogesmeade Station, all red and shiny. I haven't got a problem with Christmas, although I've never liked it much, I've just got a problem with returning to my family. God awful people. I can't remember the last time they were truly nice to me. When I think about it, after about fifth year, I haven't had a single good memory of my parents. That's why I need Hogwarts so much. This is where I am loved. 

Three days until the holidays and I am just glad to still be here and not at my familys house. Few good things spring to mind when I think of the Raylander House. My room, which I will be glad to see. Our house elf, May, who is always so nice to me and is great company. I've known her all my life and she's like a friend to me, not that my parents approve. She used to be very shy, but once I told her that she was the best house elf in all of Britain, she soon warmed up to me. My parents will probably celebrate New Years with a grand party with lots of guests and I can disappear into my room. The only thing I love about the holidays is the food. Father might be ignorant, but he can cook, better than the House Elves of Hogwarts, which is quite the achievement. Two weeks, fourteen days. It'll be alright, I hope.

Oh dear. Now I'm truly panicking. The Hogwarts Express leaves tomorrow at eleven a.m. sharp and I'll be at my parents house soon. I cover myself with my blanket and pull the blinds on my four poster bed. "Goodnight." Marlene mutters and I soon drift off into an uncomfortable sleep. 

"Come on everybody, get up!" Mary shakes me awake and scrambles to get dressed. It's quarter to eight and I need to get ready. I get up, yawning and see a mop of red pass me. Seeing as everyone was too lazy to pack yesterday, it is to be done at twice the speed today. Clothes fly as I get to the bathroom and get ready. Shouting erupts from the other room and I quickly rush out, ready to find a spell gone wrong or a clothing piece ripped. But no, it was something, or rather someone much worse. The Marauders. Lily screamed, Mary fell onto the bed, Marlene covered herself and Alice hit her head. "Shit." she muttered and held her throbbing head. "No need to cover yourself Marlene, nothing I haven't seen before." James winked and was hit hard by Lily, as was Sirius who was laughing along. "Get out!" I shouted and pushed them out the door while holding my toothbrush. "But it's so nice here!" Sirius pouted while I tried to push them away forcefully. "Yes, maybe if you wouldn't leave all your things lying around your stinking shithole might be nice too!" I yelled angrily while the boys laughed. With a lot of effort, the boys were finally out and we slammed the door. Mary cracked up. "Bloody hell, there's no peace here." I rolled my eyes and cracked a smile. Lily looked happy to have had a reason to slap James and Marlene was thankful that someone had slapped James. Great Relations.

After that incident we made our way down to the Great Hall and I had one last meal at Hogwarts before my death. Lily shot me a pitying glance and Marlene tried to cheer me up. "Well, look on the bright side, at least you get your fathers cooking." I chuckled slightly and replied "I'll finally get rid of you all." "Two weeks without you, what a charming prospect." swayed Alice and Lily laughed. "Dreamy." "Terrible if you ask me." said a voice next to Lily. She rolled her eyes and looked at James. "You know who I'll miss more than you, don't you Potter?" "No one" she rolled her eyes again, but the slight smile was there. "Everyone sitting on this table, actually, um, do you see that Ravenclaw over there? I'll miss him more than you and I don't even know his name." She smirked and winked at him. Wait, WAS THAT A WINK. The look on James' face told me that he was thinking the same thing. An arm slung around me and hair fell onto my face. Sirius. "You'll miss me the most, won't you?" he winked and made my knees turn into jelly. "She will." Marlene smirked and I rolled my eyes and laughed. "I have a list longer than that of your pranks of people I'll miss more than you." I said and winked. "Cheeky." he laughed and I ate some eggs.

The hour had come and the Hogwarts Express, which usually looked beautiful now looked grey and glum. At least for me. Once again, as always, whenever it was time to go home, students were excited and laughs echoed off the walls of the station. Sirius was staying at James' house and I finally knew the real reason. Lily wasn't very happy to see her horrible sister Petunia, but she was looking forward to seeing her family and the muggle world. Marlene was heading back to her family and Alice was going to spend the first week at her families mansion (it was the biggest thing I'd ever seen) and then she was off to go and spend the second week with Frank. Remus was to stay the first days at James' house and then travel to the East of England to see his family. No idea what Peter was doing, and, even though I hold no grudge against the boy and he's nice, I never felt the need to ask him about his holidays. All I kew was that he was away for the two weeks and he couldn't visit. 

Jon Peck hit me with his trunk and shouted a 'Sorry!' in my direction and rushed off to meet his friends. Everyone was excited. Everyone except me. I signed, but away my trunk and entered the red train and found my friends, miraculously. James was sending paper aeroplanes tying through the compartment and Sirius was at war with Alice about her last Fizzing Whisbee. Lily was trying to get the boys out and Remus was having a conversation with Marlene about her robes. It was a sight to behold. I laughed and squeezed my way through to the window where Lily and Sirius were sitting and found a spot to sit. "Get out!" Lily shouted at Sirius who was still trying to steal Alice sweet. The train was closing it's doors and the commotion outside was fading away; everyone was on the train. I wanted to run out of the compartment and back to Hogwarts, but the deed wast done. I slumped down and the boys slowly moved out of the apartment; they'd find a compartment for sure. Sirius called my name. "Amberle, can you come here for a second." I followed him out of the compartment and he took me in his arm, hugging me tightly. "You'll be alright." he whispered in my ear and kissed me on the head. I nodded, but I wasn't ok. It was overwhelming. My family. My brother. "One must find courage in that happiness comes after the storm." he says. "I smile a little "very poetic" I chuckle into his shoulder. "If anything happens, I'll be there. And if you need to get away, we'll pick you up and you'll stay with us at the Potters, yes?" 'Thank you for the offer, but Remus is already staying and I don't want to intrude and be a burden or someth-" "You'll be welcome at the Potters anytime of the year, and you'd never be a burden!" I looked up into those eyes I love so much. "Thank you" I whispered and kissed him. "Adieu! I have too grieved a heart to take a tedious leave." "How do you know Shakespear?" I shout after him surprised. "Finally listened in Muggle Studies!" he shouted over his shoulder and I smiled, shaking my head. This boy was going  to drive me crazy.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------