Ch. 16 A Walk

Two of the brightest witches of Gryffindor getting drunk was very unusual, and so, of course, the news spread like wildfire but the two now healthy friends took it rather well. Other than a few snarky remarks the topic soon blew over and it was once again time for Ball gossip, seeing as the dance was to take place in two days.
Mary and Marlene got their scowling from Lily and me, seeing as we not so gracefully, but not carelessly, carried them back to the huge castle.
Even though Mary thought Remus was going to back off after what had happened, they became closer than ever.
My Sirius situation was improving slightly but isn't yet properly mended.

Lily and I need an escape from all this Ball drama. And fast.
So, as the seemingly only two not so excited people in this whole building, on Tuesday afternoon, after DADA, we decided to take a walk down the beautiful grounds of Hogwarts now covered in brown, red and golden leaves.
The wind blew through me as the grounds lay out majestically in front of us.
"How is the Sirius situation going?" Lily got straight to the topic as I knew she would. "It's a little better, just that after our falling out we haven't really spoken much." "Amberle.... it's been three weeks now...." I took a deep breath.

I know. Trust me, I know.

Lily had the ability to know what I was thinking, if it's just about essays or about Sirius Black.
"How's it going with James?" I changed the topic quickly and saw on Lilys face that she let it slide this time and kept on walking down the hill. She let out a exasperated sigh. "Same old, same old. He pesters me all day, every day. Oh how I wish it would stop." She let out pleadingly as she looked at me. I raised an eyebrow. "Do you really?" I asked concerned. There was a minute of silence and of us just trodding down the hill. Suddenly, Lily turned to me, a mixture of emotions on her face. "I think I do.....but....and now don't tell anyone....but I'm not sure anymore....he's getting less horrid by the month...." I crack a smile. Finally, the great Lily Evans was giving in to James Potter. "But I don't like him...It's just that I don't mind him as much anymore." I smirk as I felt victorious. "Don't look at me like that! It's not as if I'm going to marry him someday!" I laugh and keep walking.
"Don't worry, your secret's safe with me."

I hear footsteps behind us and notice Lily turn around. I know Slytherins like Avery and Snape love to lurk at the corners of the Wizard School, tormenting whoever passes and so I brace myself.
"Remus!" I heard Lily shout and brighten immensely. I smiled and turned around, greeting my friend.
He joins our now little group as we make or way further away from the castle, bathing in the last light of the day. "Can't hear anymore of the Ball either?" he turns towards us. "I am no longer capable of hearing that word, Remus Lupin." I said as Lily and Remus laughed. "Me neither." Lily mumbles and put her hands in her pocket.
"Even Peter is talking about this blimin Ball." Remus kicks a stone and I watch it tumble into the distance. "That's has to mean something." I mumble. "It does indeed." Remus agreed and I could hear he was tired.
"So, who'll be your date on Thursday?" Lily asked and I too wanted to know. Remus blushed a deep crimson red. "Well.....I asked Mary yesterday if she'd go with me, just as friends of course..." I heard Lily let out a triumphant yell. "Finally, finally, after all those weeks. My goodness, I was wondering when you'd pluck up that bit of courage of yours Lupin and ask her!" I laughed along with Lily and we ended up asking him about the relationship.
He grew more confident and we were soon laughing together. "They're all growing up so fast, next thing you know we'll be invited to their wedding!" Lily wiped a false tear from her eye as Remus pushed her lightly. "We're not getting married anytime soon, that's for sure." I laughed at his statement and went back to teasing Remus.

Forty minutes later it was time to turn back and head for the castle, as the darkness soon began to swallow up the light of day. The walk had been wonderful and as I made my way over to my four poster bed, I smiled to myself and was soon engulfed in a dreamless night.

————————————————————————————————————————————-