Ch.17 The Ball

"I give up. This potion is not and will not ever work." Marlene huffed annoyed and slammed her 'Advanced Potion Making' Book on the table. She looked over to Lily, the Master Potioneer. She moaned and slumped down onto her chair. "How, by Merlins beard, do you make it work Lily Evans?" Lily chuckled and looked at her more sternly. "Its quite simple actually. Just squeeze the beazle, don't chop it." Marlene slurred upright and started, with great enthusiasm, her potion again. It was the day of the Ball and Marlene was too excited and preoccupied with event to pay any sort of attention in class. I looked around and saw a non enthusiastic class. The chatter, as I'd presumed, had nothing to do with the Potion we were supposed to be brewing. All anyone was talking about since Tuesday was the Winter Ball.
"Don't look so glum, Marls. There's a Ball coming up tonight....."Mary teased and Marlenes features brightened like a dog spotting his bone. "I can't wait!" she squealed and hugged Alice. "You never know what the bonkers is going on with this girl; one minute she's bloody exhausted and the next she's riling up the whole darn castle." Alice mumbled, rolling her eyes as I thought the same thing.
We were in our third and second last class of today and everyone was buzzing with excitement. Especially Mary and Marlene, Alice too. Lily was rather quite today and I was having fun watching my excited friends and joined in on the fun some times too. The night before had been quite the same and the cozy Gryffindor common room, the Great Hall and the grounds were chaos. Sometimes one had to shout to hear the other sitting next to him/ her. Gossip flew around like nothing ever seen before and in a few hours a new rumour or "secret" had been told and the gossip from a few hours was gone with the wind.
"I heard that Susanne rejected Harry today at breakfast." I turned my attention towards Dorcas. "Nah, she wouldn't!" I waved it off. "No no, honestly. I was told by Dean who was told by Euphemia." I nodded enthusiastically. "Oh, and of course Euphemia is the most trustful source you thi-" Alice's opinion was interrupted by Sybil. "I was told the same thing by Tom! Think it ought to be true!" That's how it's gone for the past 48 hours. I sighed and turned to Lily, who looked a little stressed. "Are you alright?" I leaned over the table we were having lunch at and looked at my best friend quizzically. "If I survive this, it'll be a miracle." She sighed and I laughed, throwing my head back. I reached for her hand, the buzzing chaos in my ears. "You'll be fine! It won't be that bad, trust me. Even I'm excited and you know I don't like these things to much." She chuckled and grabbed my hand. "We're going together, so it'll be half bad." "Thanks" she replied to my comment and I chuckled. "We've nearly got to get ready!" I squealed dramatically and Lily laughed.

................................................

"Can't....get...these... bloody shoes on." I heard Lily say. Surprised, I spin around to look at her and see the rest do so also. "We've gone to swearing now, have we?" Mary said as she folded her robes before going back to her dress. "Look at Lily Evans being a bad girl, swearing and all." Marlene chuckled and Lily glared at her. "I bet you she's preparing for a date with James Potter." Alice added as I laughed. "Swears like a bloody trooper that one."  Lily turned around and disapprovingly shook her head. To our surprise, she didn't utter a word of defence and was slightly blushing. Marlene winked at me, having noticed the 'change in the wind' as well.

"Are we all ready?" Lily asked and it was time to step out of the bathroom for the final look in the mirror. The last hour had been a complete and utter chaos in all dorms Gryffindor had to offer: other Gryffindor girls came and went, leaving the door open as they rushed into their rooms one again. But, finally, after a lot of kicking and screaming we'd finally made it to the mirror. Mary made up this silly rule that the full body mirror in our dorm was to be kept concealed as to reveal us only after the last touch had been made. So now, after getting "glammed up to the nines" as Alice said, we were finally in front of the mirror, ready for the big reveal. Lily, the most skilled one out of all of us, lifted the concealment charm and gasped. Even though we had assured her that she was the most stunning in the castle, she never accepted it. Lily Evans, already pretty without any touch ups, was standing in front of us in her silk red, floor length gown. We giggled at her reaction. "I know someone who'll love to look at you!" Alice bellowed from her bed as she returned to us. "Alright, next up is Mary!" Mary shyly stepped in front of the mirror and she too was awestruck. She looked divine in her cream coloured flow dress which fell elegantly like a feather down her legs to her ankles. "Cleaned up pretty nicely, didn't I?" Mary commented and now I could see the Mary MacDonald I knew. The Mary MacDonald who could work with all sorts of exotic plants down in the greenhouses and who could fly a broom in a battered old jacket. Looking at her now, she was the most beautiful I'd ever seen her. Marlene was up next, and, to no ones surprise, she looked like a goddess. The upper part of her dress was deep blue and the lower part puffed out and had blue flowers all over it. It couldn't have fitted her better; the skirt like lower part flowed out and got all the attention. Her golden curls were held up and a few shaped her face. She looked enchanting as she too took in her appearance. "You look marvellous, Marlene." Lily breathed wide eyed as she ruffled her friends skirt. Alice brought herself forward and once again, she was absolutely stunning. Her black dress made a statement as it was beautiful in all the right places. Alice's short hair suited the dress well. She waved and posed dramatically, turning away from the mirror, making us laugh. "Frank will be down on one knee after tonight!" Mary bellowed laughing. Alice, shy and annoyed, replied: "Oh shut up! I'll bet you five galleons that you'll have a good old snog with dear Remus once the night's done with you!" Alice celebrated her win and we laughed at Mary. The latter rolled her eyes but cracked a smile. She turned away, muttering loudly: "Honestly, I don't know why I'm still friends with you lot."