Ch. 41 Dumbledore and the truth

Hazel orbs stared at me. I stirred and opened one eye, adjusting to the light. A warm hand was again (or still?) engulfing mine. Pain soared through me and I tried to locate and organise myself. I opened both eyes and tried to stop my head from spinning. I groaned as my eyes finally adjusted to the light. I now recognised the outlines of who I presumed were my friends and I tried hard not to feel dizzy. The hand steadied me as I realised it was morning. I gently sank back into the soft cushions and looked around at expectant and worried faces. The figure closest to me started talking. "Hey Amberle, good morning. How are you feeling?" Sirius' voice was soothing and made me instantly relax as I started to put the pieces back together. Lily was there. And Remus. And James. I tried to smile, to fake my pain, but I couldn't. Lily knelt down beside me. "Hey, we're so glad you're awake, I am so sorry." she grabbed my hand and stroked the top lightly, looking down, looking ashamed. "We shouldn't have let you go on that stupid "adventure"-" to everyones surprise including mine, a laugh bubbled inside me. "Now that's truly silly. How in the world could it be your fault? You all had nothing to do with this and I don't even blame Mary. It was my brother and his Death Eater friends." "But we should-" I looked at James. "You shouldn't have let me go, oh that's stupid. Who was going to know I'd end up where I ended up. Don't you dare, any of you, feel guilty." "And I thought you were to sick to lecture." Sirius muttered under his breath and Remus and James laughed. "Never." I winked at him and he smiled. "We're still -if you permit it- sorry that all this happened. It was that bloody snake of a brother again and I-" "It has to be really bad if Remus threatens while swearing-" "Oh sod off" Remus exclaimed and grabbed the hand that Lily held on to. "I just want got say that.. we'll always be there for you and fight with you. No one gets to do that to my friends." he looked me dead serious in the eye and with such determination that I had no choice but to believe everything. I was so thankful. Thankful for these friends and thankful for this protection. I now realised I needed it.

"Thank you." I whispered to him, letting him know how much I appreciated his words.

Then I heard it. The rustle of a heavy cloak. The footsteps. The others too look around as none other than Professor Dumbledore enters, leaving me surprised. "You're not that sick." Sirius teases quietly and I grunt and roll my eyes. "So caring, always watching out for me." he winks at me and before I know it, Dumbledore stands at the end of my bed. His half moon spectacles are perched perfectly on his long nose and he looks down at me with a twinkle in his eye. "Good morning Miss Raylander, I hope you are feeling better.". The others had taken a step back and looked at the wise man surprised and expectantly. His robe is a deep purple and blue and decorated with golden half moons. His arms grip the bed frame as he awaits my answer. I am shocked and honoured. "I am feeling better, thank you very much, I am very flattered-" "No need for that." he winks at me and I feel comforted. His watching eyes are still on me as he asks the next question. "I hear from your friends that you don't remember everything, but I must know how much you remember from yesterday." 

I gulp. Sirius knew, but that was it. It was a painful memory, but I'd have to recount it again. As if reading my thoughts, Dumbledore tells me that he knew it was painful to tell again, but that I had to, for the sake of everyone. 

I took a deep breath. 

Here goes. 

"Everyone better take a chair." I mutter and Dumbledore chuckles as I blush for being so bashful. "It started in the common room..." .......

"And so, next thing I knew, I found myself under a blanket in the Hospital Wing." I sighed as I looked uncertainly at all the faces. The silence seemed to never end. Eyes were wide, eyebrows were up and mouths were agape. Only Sirius and Dumbledore looked a little more at ease. Dumbledores eyes had concern written on them, but his small, knowing, understanding smile told me slightly different things. 

He knows something. 

"So, you're telling me, that Mary..Mary led you to your brother.. at...in.. in Hogwarts?" Remus stood in shock, trying to string a coherent sentence together. This was even harder on him, being Marys boyfriend. I stared, truly sorry, into his eyes. "Yes, she took me to him...them. She's enchanted or bewitched-" "Cursed.". Dumbledores voice booms and al eyes wander to him, hoping for a broader explanation. "I suspect she is under the Imperius Curse." the group mumbled and silent "merlins beard" and "ahh"s could be heard. "Those bastards use anything to-" Sirius' gaze met Dumbledores "Sorry. But they are truly, ghastly, horrible." his hand still rests in mine, warm. Dumbledore looked to me and I was calmed slightly. "I have been suspecting such occurrences for some time now, and it is not unlikely of his followers to use their own kin as bait or messenger. But I am terribly sorry that this must have happened to you, Ms Raylander. This is not an unplanned attack, your brother and his friends must have picked out a location as well as the hostages. I am also truly sorry about Ms McDonald. We must think hard and fast to overcome this and also to put Professor McGonagall completely out of danger. These groups of young followers are radical, but they act unrationally and quick, thus making it easier to overcome them."

He walked over to me as Lily, James and Marlene made space for him. "Now, there are a few critical points which must be discussed; firstly, we are the only people who have knowledge about this, and this must stay so. Secondly, no one is to investigate on their own. Thirdly, in addition to the second remark, no one is to make unrational and silly attempts on their own." here he looked at Sirius, then James and then Remus. "The only way to stop them is together. We must now devise a plan which puts no one in danger and the Professor out of it. She will of course be informed immediately and will know from me who knows about this. If you must speak to her about the matter, she will listen to your ideas. We will have to plan Miss McDonalds rescue and not risk Miss Raylander. We must also see that your brother, Miss Raylander, is no longer at large. Only then can we truly eradicate this group." I gulped. I hated my brother, but eradicate was and always will be a strong word. I nodded understandingly. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12 hours later and I was still lying in the hospital bed, Madame Pomfrey having found internal bleeding she could only just mend. Everyone had gone, even Sirius. I told set stubborn boy to 'bloody bed if he ever expected to kiss me again' and so, quiet quickly, I found myself alone. Night was dawning and I was preparing to nod off as I heard footsteps heading towards me. I perched my head. 

Who is this, Madame Pomfrey has gone, who...

Before I could respond to my own question the curtains drew back and I was lucky enough to have Albus Dumbledore grace my presence again. His eyes twinkled under the now peaking moon and he slowly stepped forward. "I was hoping to find you still awake. I thank you for your bravery earlier today. That was no easy thing to do. His cloak glinted. "I hadn't intended to say this in front of everyone; I am terribly and utterly sorry about your brother. I know you hardly loved him, but family..." he looked out of the window to...Hogsmeade?..., lost in thought "family is no easy thing." I nodded. "Thank you." I managed to say. Wisdom flowed from him. "This will be a difficult adventure which will put you to the test. I must urge you to stand your ground and not fly away with the storm." He looked me in the eyes under his half moon spectacles. He smiled reassuringly. "Your are an exceedingly good witch and I believe you will survive this harshness." I thanked him again." 

"Now you must rest, for a long journey awaits you."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lil longer, hope you all enjoyed it.