Ch. 26 Arriving

I see a big station crowded. Magical beasts were either in cages or loose. The train huffed and puffed as it came to a stop at the loud, noisy station. I prayed for a longer journey. I prayed for everything to go wrong so I could have more time with my friends and less with my family. But magic nearly never fails us, and so here I am, with my trunk in hand surrounded by my friends. One by one they are picked up, taken away and we say our goodbyes. Sirius kisses me deeply while Remus shouts "Get a room!" and I laugh at that. Then they leave and Lily is the last one to be picked up. She spots her parents; Petunia once said "she'd rather rub pigs litter on her face than go to Kings Cross Station with all the witches and wizards". "Hope you have great holidays" I whisper in Lilys ear and she looks at me, solemn. "I'm sorry you have to go there. I would invite you but..." "..but Petunia." I finish her sentence as she throws me a look of pity. 

I am now the last one of my group at the Station and the crowd begins to slim down. I see an owl sweep elegantly down from the big arches which form the roof of the station. I recognise it. The owl is middle sized, coffee coloured and has a beautiful beak. It's a Raylander owl; Arya. She's one of my favourite owls and she has never bitten me. A small note is attached to her right leg and I untie it from her leg. It's probably a message from my parents saying that they're late and that they'll be here in a few minutes. Surely.

Dear Amberle, 

we're terribly sorry to tell you that we won't be picking you up from the station because we just can't find the time; business calls. You know the address, we will see you shortly. Safe journey.

This can't be. They're not serious. I mean, I know they're terrible parents, but this has never happened before. Each year at least my mother would pick me up. She wouldn't look at me or listen to me much, but she'd be here. They know how far our house is from the station. We always take one of our magic cars; we even went pack by broom. But they know perfectly well that I am not allowed to use magic outside of school. I don't know what to do, I've only taken muggle transport a few times. We don't live in London and we flow to Diagon Alley and the ministry. But now they've pretty much abandoned me. I love the city of London but I don't know the surroundings well. 

It is what it is. It's shit, but it is what it is and I now have to get home. Always look on the bright side of life.

I am one of the last people to leave platform 9 3/4 and I look for the next bus or train stop going home. I finally find one and get out my last bit of muggle money, knowing that my parents aren't going to pay me back once I get home. I take the bus and switch to a train. I finally arrive, after about 3 hours. Inhaling sharply, I walk another 15 minutes and look up. The plain, rather unwelcome Raylander House looms before me and all I want to do I turn around, but I'm passed that now. I open the iron gates and admire the pretty gardens; all just show for the neighbours; my mother rather despises the outdoors. My trunk is heavy in my sweaty hand and I knock on the big brass door. I knock again. My mother opens and smiles at me. "Hello dearest, you've finally arrived!" She hugs me and hear her big earrings clink. I step inside and see the same as always; the cold furniture, the three paintings on the wall and two pictures in frames; one of my parents wedding and the other a family photo, the family looking rather broken. In from the cold, I pull my trunk in and hang my coat on the rack next to mothers expensive ones. I had already changed out of my robes in the train and I spot the big fire flaming in the living room. It is the only thing that ever truly warms me in this house. Our house elf (mother insisted we have one while I was telling her it was inhuman to have an elf at home) Trixie scurried around and looked at me with a pleasant smile on her face. She was the nicest of them all. She pops off to my room and I follow mother into the kitchen where father is cooking dinner. "Tea's nearly ready." he announces and turns around, embracing me in a hug. He's nicer to me when he's cooking. "Hello Amberle, good to have you back home." 

My home is somewhere else.

I force a smile. "What are you cooking?" "I'm making Shepherds Pie, it'll be ready in 10 minutes." "Smells delicious." I muster and he smiles. I turn to go up to my room and once I arrive I open my trunk and put everything back into my closet and into my cupboards. One of the few things I like about the Raylander House is my room. It hasn't got much in it but it's a cozy retreat when I want to just scream at my parents. "Tea's ready!" my father shouts and make my way downstairs. We sit at the round table and begin to eat. They don't ask me about my semester, they talk about work and their friends. "How are you Amberle?" my mother asks. "I'm very well, at Hogwar-" I am interrupted by my father. "Dear, I need to have those files ready by noon tomorrow so we need to ask Jane about the documents on the new program." He tells my mother and they discuss this for the whole evening, ignoring me. I was planning on telling them about their horrific son, but they don't seem to care. They probably wouldn't notice the difference if I came home with two broken legs. This is the routine; first they welcome me and ask me how I am, then they ignore me for two weeks and give more of a shit about objects than about me. 

I was alone, bored and sad when an owl flew in. 

Amberle! The Potters have invited you to spend Christmas with us and to stay till the 2. of January to see the fireworks for New Years Eve! I hope you can come! -Sirius

I was saved. Christmas was only a few days away and I was going to be with Sirius and James for New Years as well! I laughed when I thought about the jealousy of the girls at Hogwarts if they ever found out that I was celebrating with not only James Potter, but with Sirius Black also. I was exstatic, I had something to look forward to and I was going to wear my best dress for it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------