44: Talk Talk

OLIVIA

"It wasn't for food." Charlotte breathes, "They slit her throat and pinned her up to a tree for display." 

"When we found her she was drenched in her own blood." Adam elaborates.

"They didn't drink it." Charlotte says. 

 "This only means one thing." Adam states in a low voice.

"You've been thinking it all along." Charlotte whispers.

"This is war."

"Seems like you wanted it to happen."

A low growl resonates deep in Adams chest.

"If we hadn't killed one of theirs-" Charlotte starts.

"And let her get away? Let them think they're in control? That we're weak? Not for a second."

Charlotte tilts her head back in annoyance. "So it's war then. And the killing never ends."

Adam stands.

"What's done is done." He states. "I doubt there'll be much debate once the others find out."

"They're already finding out." Charlotte says. "Can't you hear them?"

All is silent as Adam listens for the faint sounds that are far too quiet for me to pick up on.

"Then it's decided."

Charlotte shakes her head. "We shouldn't be doing this."

Adam crosses the room, heading for the exit.

"Frankly, Charlotte, it's overdue." He opens the door and strides outside to convene with the other vampires.

I sink into my seat.

Charlotte lets out a groan and folds her arms across her face.

This was the first time I've seen them argue.

"Stupid fucking vampires." Charlotte hisses.

I can't help giggle at that, instantly lightening my mood.

"You're a vampire." I murmur.

She rubs her forehead and glares at me.

"I've got to make sure he's not getting us into trouble." She says, getting up.

"I'll come." I start.

"No." She turns, placing her hand in front of me. "You'll stay here where they can't kill you."

"Don't you want me dead anyway?" I argue.

She says nothing and slams the door on her way out.

I sit down again and cross my arms. Apparently I've just been woken up in the middle of the night for no reason at all. I don't know what a war means for vampires, but I'm slightly intrigued, yet terrified all at once. If Adam thinks we need one, he's got to be right. 

I start to think about our moment again and slowly drift into this imaginative state, wondering if we'll ever be alone together again, and if we are, what will happen? My mind drifts and my heart starts to flutter. I'm falling for him again.

The door opens and Charlotte storms in.

"This is not right." She hisses.

"What's going on?" I ask.

"They're being stupid. They're splitting up and searching for the mermaids who are probably already gone by now."

"Adam too?" I ask.

"He's out there. Maybe if we're lucky he'll get himself killed." She says.

"Don't say that." I murmur.

"Don't you have to sleep or something?" She asks.

Suddenly I notice that her eyes are red, her face flush with emotion.

"Yeah." I say softly.

I pad down the hall, leaving her alone in the living room. When I get to the door to my room I hear her crying. Part of me feels bad.

I shut the door and lean against it, wondering what kind of a situation we've gotten ourselves into.