52: Back from the Dead

~~~~OLIVIA~~~~

In the darkened forest, our impromptu camp is taking shape. Tents patched together with scavenged fabrics cluster between the trees, creating new silhouettes in an untouched wilderness.

I watch as busy vampires prepare an arsenal of weapons, constructing and stockpiling from what they'd gathered in the town raid.

For the first time since we got here, I see Adam. He emerges from between two tents and walks straight towards me.

I smile.

"Have you seen Charlotte?" He asks flatly.

"Not since before we left. Why?"

"Doesn't matter." He pulls me into the nearest tent - my tent. It's empty.

Suddenly I notice his had is lingering on my waist. His body's close to mine. His eyes are settled on my face. Is this happening again? Already?

My heart flutters excitedly. Before I can do anything he's kissing me.

It's exhilarating.

I place a hand on his broad chest as he drags me deeper into the abyss - the world outside darkening, fading away. I feel like I'm falling. Electrically charged. Pumped with adrenaline and at the same time calmer than I've ever been.

Our silent exchange speaks louder than words ever could - reiterating the indescribable relationship that exists between us. Unabjectably, he pulls me in - tight as he can. I crave him. With every cell of my body I crave him.

Even in this fleeting moment of satisfaction it seems impossible to get enough - to get close enough.

And suddenly it's over.

"Have a good night, Olivia." He says before exiting the tent as quickly as he had come.

"You too." I reply to an already empty room.

The smile doesn't leave my face. Not for a long time.

When I come back outside I head for the cars, meandering through the open channels between tents. I want to gather some blankets, something soft, anything really, to sleep on tonight.

The trunks of several cars are wide open, exposing the spoils packed to the brim inside. I spot what I'm looking for - a thick, purple duvet - and pull it out. My eyes continue scanning, searching for a pillow. In another trunk I find one. It's square shaped and appears to have come from a couch, but it'll do. I take it and head back.

On my way to my tent I search the faces in the crowds for Charlotte. It is strange I haven't seen her yet. I wonder where she could be, what she could be up to. And then the worst comes to mind. What if she was taken? By the enemy? Right now they could be slitting her throat and skinning her alive, hanging her up as a warning.

I try to reason my way out of it; she's a strong girl, she can hold her own. But doubt clouds my mind.

I dump the bedding in my tent and come outside again, still searching with my eyes. Where is she?

"Olivia." A voice behind me startles.

I turn sharply. There's Charlotte.

"Where have you been?" I ask.

She's smiling. She never smiles at me.

"There's something you'll want to see." She says.

I follow her into the uninhabited forest, away from our tents.

"Where are we going?" I ask.

It's dark. I can barely see and we're walking outside the radiant torchlight from camp.

"You can't tell Adam." Charlotte states. "He'd kill us both if he knew."

My curiosity is piqued.

We come upon a small tent. There's a light burning inside.

Charlotte stops in front of it. I stare at her for a moment, trying to read her face.

She kneels down and peeks her head into the tent flap.

"Auron," She murmurs, "I've brought Olivia here to see you."

 My eyes widen.

She pulls out of the tent and looks up at me.

"Go on in. I'm going to find Adam and let him know I'm okay. He's probably wondering where I've been."

I can find no words to say. I simply stare at her, internally questioning her sanity.

Her eyes will me to go into the tent and I follow their direction.

Inside, Auron lays flat on his back, a pillow behind his head. He looks awful, but not as bad as the day we left him in the ground. He's conscious. And his sunken eyes stay fixated on me.

"Aren't you going to say something?" He croaks.

I bite my lip. "I don't know what to say. I never thought I'd see you again."   

"Well I'm back." He says. "And I'm not going anywhere."

I look down. A silence falls upon us for a moment.

"He hasn't changed you, has he."

I shake my head.

"Let me do it." He says. "You don't have to wait anymore."

"No. It's fine."

His tired eyes search me.

"Olivia?" He asks, fear in his voice. "We're good right?"

"You've been gone for a long time." I state.

He pushes himself up on shaky arms. He leans in, close to me.

"Olivia, I'm right here. And I promise I won't leave you again." He tries to kiss me.

I pull away. "Don't. Adam will kill you."

"I don't care. I'd die a thousand times to be with you."

"I'm with him." I state.

He stares at me, disbelieving.

"I think I'm gonna be sick." He murmurs.

I lift my eyes to meet his.

"I'm happy you're back." I state. "But I'm over you."