57: Blindside

~~~~DYLAN~~~~

"It's this way," The girl sniffs, leading me around a thicket of trees.

"Again, really sorry for sneaking up on you earlier," I apologize, "And thank you for showing me the way."

"Shh." She whispers. "We're here... This is where they live."

A vast tent-city comes into view. It seems to stretch deep into the forest, farther than the low-hanging branches will permit me to see.

"You have no idea how helpful this is," I gush.

"No worries," She smiles. "It looks like they're not here right now, so, follow me."

She hops down, crouching behind a small shelter. I let her lead, keeping a weary eye out for vampires as we sneak through the maze of tents. Something tells me they wouldn't have left this place unguarded. But if they are all out to battle I might be able to gain some invaluable insight by snooping around...

"This is it." She whispers.

I smile at her, "Here goes nothing."

We lift the tent's fabric and enter a large, open space inside.

"This looks promising." I remark, heading straight for a pile of boxes stashed in the corner.

Rummaging through, I strike up conversation. "So how is it you managed to escape?"

"I outsmarted them, I guess." She blushes. "Here, let me help you look. We've got to get out of here fast if we-"

Something brushes my wrist.

"I mean they could be back any second." Her hands are under the box, then one wraps lightly around my waist.

At first I'm confused, thinking maybe she's flirting with me.

"Hey! Whoa, what are you doing?!"

A quick tug - the box falls from my hands as they're swept behind my back. Rope tightens around my wrists as this girl displays a new found strength. Struggling, I try to break free of the bounds as she continues tieing knots. With a swift yank she brings me to the ground.

Landing hard on my side, I don't have time enough to wince at the pain before being dragged across the floor and fastened to a tree trunk - part of the tent's structure.

I'm not sure how much I've been yelling, but suddenly I stop as she shoves a piece of cloth into my mouth and securs it there.

I can barely wiggle any one part of my body more than an inch and it's now, in the forced relaxation that I realize how much trouble I'm in.

"Sorry." She smirks. "Girl's got to do what a girl's got to do."

As the leaves the tent she turns to say one final thing. "Careful who you trust, things are never as they seem." With a wicked smile she leaves me, hopelessly imprisoned. I can only imagine what horrible fait will await me if I don't get out.