56: A Follower

~~~OLIVIA~~~

"Adam!" I call out into the woods. "Please don't get yourself killed!"

He's already gone, his army close behind.

I stalk into the camp, searching for my tent.

"Olivia." An unwelcome voice beckons.

I turn and meet Charlotte.

"That was fast." My eyes dart to the body in her arms, then back to her eyes.

She shrugs. "What can I say, I'm good."

"Whatever," I breathe, turing away.

"Hey. Come with me." She jerks her head toward the woods.

"I've got better things to do." I mutter.

"Like what?" She narrows her eyes.

"Like... blockading myself into my tent so the mermaids don't get me."

"You'll be safer the farther away you are from camp." She urges.

I frown.

"Please, he's been asking for you. What do you have against him anyway?"

"Nothing."

She lies the body over her shoulder and grabs my wrist. "Come on."

"Your hand is wet." I notice.

"It's just a little blood." She explains, pulling me away from camp.

I cringe.

We tromp through the forest, carving a fresh path in the untouched wilderness. Rays of sunshine cascade through the canopy, iluminating the misty air like beams from a thousand spotlights.

Abranch cracks in the distance.

Charlotte stops.

My heart thumps in my throat.

"What's going on?" I whisper.

"Someone's following us." She says in a hushed tone.

I scan the area, seeing no one. My fear heightens.

"Just keep walking." She whispers softly.

We tiptoe onward. I check behind my shoulder as frequently as possible until charlotte tells me to "stop acting like prey."

Finally we reach the tent. Charlotte motions for me to go inside. So I do.

"Hey Auron." I murmur, crawling to an empty corner.

"Breakfast," Charlotte states, passing the body to him.

She pulls the tent closed behind her.

"Are they still out there?" I ask in a whisper.

She nods. "Someone followed us here." She explains to Auron, who's now dripping with blood and deeply engrosed in his meal.

"Shouldn't we do something? We're sitting ducks just waiting here."

"Relax. If it comes any closer I'll kill it." She promises. "My guess is someone back at camp got hungry and smelled my catch."

"No one's at camp, they're all following Adam."

"What's he doing?" Auron asks, pulling his teeth from the body and spattering blood everywhere as he talks.

"Killing mermaids," I admit, "They went to the water's edge to battle." I say to Charlotte.

"He's really going to war?" Auron questins. He shakes his head "Adam's a fucking idiot when it comes to strategy. Why go to them? They should be waiting, make them come to us. Mermaids are weaker on land, they'd be easier to attack."

"The one that attacked me didn't seem weak." I mutter, mostly to myself.

"What?" He asks harshly.

"Nothing." I state.

"You were attacked by a mermaid?" He asks in disbelief. "When was this? And why is this the first I'm hearing about it?"

"Back off." I spit. "You weren't even there, and it was fine. Adam took care of it."

"Adam took care of it? He should have been protecting you. It never should have happened in the first place."

"I don't need protection."

"Ha - If we'd showed up two minutes later you would have been dead." Charlotte butts in.

"I can't believe he almost got you killed." Auron exclaims.

"The mermaid is the one who almost killed me, not Adam. They're the enemies."

He shakes his head in disgust. "And how do you think this whole thing got started? What made her crawl up from the depths and try to take your life? Mermaids and vampires had gotten along peacefully for years until Adam killed one of their people. He angered them and brought this whole thing on."

"That's not true! Mermaids and vampires have been enemies since the beginning of time!"

"Oh and you would know? Show me your fangs, Olivia, because I haven't seen them."

"I can't believe you!"

"I can't believe you could be so blind. Look at what's happening. He is ruining you."

"This is awkward." Charlotte comments under her breath.

"I don't have to take this." I storm out of the tent. Tears break as the flap closes behind me.

I stomp in the direction of camp, walking as fast as I can.

"Olivia," Auron's voice calls from behind me, "Come back!"

I don't turn but keep going forward faster, running away. Angry tears stream down my cheeks.

I'm caught up in my own emotions until suddenly I hear a sound again. Fear grips at my chest.

"Who's there?" I demand, spinning around.

A tall, dark haired boy emerges from behind a tree, looking concerned.

"Are you okay?" He asks.

"Fine." I state, sniffing as I wipe my face. "Who the hell are you?"

He smirks.

"My name's Dylan."