68: Confrontation

DYLAN

I crawl onto the beach, nausea threatening as the gruesome smell is matched by an equally gruesome sight. There are far fewer mermaids here than vampires, but that's not because we're down in numbers - not more than them, anyway.

Most of our people are waiting beneath the waves. We're using strategy, while the vampires seem to have resorted to primitive warfare.

Still, appearances can't be trusted.

Maybe this was their ploy to lure me in...

Suddenly a female vampire charges. I run at her, matching her speed until moments before we meet. At the last second I jump, pushing off her and rolling to a hault on the soft sand.

She spins around, locates me, then draws her gun.

"Don't shoot me." I bargain, "I'm here to deliver a message."

Not a beat later, she takes a firm grip on my arm and pulls me to my feet.

Ungracefully, I'm shoved towards the woods.

"You're leader is injured, I assume."

She says nothing, but gives my arm a deliberately hard squeeze.

"Or, is he afraid?" I question.  

She stops in front of a row of trees, releases her grip on me, then dissapears behind them.

I suddenly feel vulnerable.

In the moments that pass I don't know whether to follow her, wait, or run. The stark silence gives me chills.

"You're in dangerous territory," A deep voice suddenly booms.

Don't be afraid, I tell myself. Act strong.

"Come out and say that to my face." I shout into the darkness, "You've run from the battle. Now you hide from me. You're nothing but a coward."

Silence falls. I take a deep breath, and continue. 

"I want to fight. One on one. You and me. Let's settle this once and for all. No more hiding. No more casualties."

He laughs hollowly. "Your plan depends on my agreeing."

"You know it'll come to this one way or another. Why not spare our people?" I bargain.

"I have three gunmen locked on you right now. I don't need to fight." He states.

My throat tightens.

"Then why not shoot?" I ask, purely out of curiosity.

"I'm considering your offer." He says after a pause.

"There are no gunmen." I realize.

Gambling on my intuition, I charge forward, searching for the man behind the voice.

My hand locks onto an arm and I pull him out of the greenery, into the open where all is revealed.

The blood, the cuts, the weakness in his eyes.

His stare hardens and suddenly he strikes.

His puch stings but doesn't burn. I return the pleasantry only to buy myself the time I need to run.

Run and hope he follows. Run towards the sea, my only ally.

"I'll finish you." He yells after me.

The plan is set in motion.

I run with everything I have, not looking back.

When I reach the sand I bypass the bloodbath and head for the rocks. Raised and secluded, yet visible, it's the perfect stage for the final show.

I clamber out onto the furthest rock, then turn to watch. A vampire emerges from the woods, wielding new weapons and armour. Everything about him should scare me but the limp in his step reminds me that his meanacing appearence doesn't penetrate the skin.  

I'm not prepared for what's ahead. But I'll take it as it comes.

A red hand grasps the rock. Two eyes peer above it. I see fear in them, only for a second.

"Look who's running now." He sneers.

His muscular body hauls itself up onto the platform. He steps methodically from one rock to another, moving ever closer until we are face to face again. He raises his head slowly. And he knows, as do I, that this is a show. It will begin with two and end with one. Without looking, we can feel the eyes on our backs.

It ends here.