48: A Change In Plans

~~~~OLIVIA~~~~

It's morning. Steam rises from the ashy floor beneath the spindly remnants of blackened trees. The world is grey and foggy in all directions.

There's a soft murmur  from the vampires around, who collect their things, and gather each other in the wake of the disaster.

There's still no sign of Adam.

Charlotte and I stare out at the charred city, silent.

More vampires walk in. They're all gathering around here.

I squat down and pick up a blackened twig off the ground. It crumbles in my fingers. Brittle, fragile.

"Maybe we should look for him." I suggest. 

"We won't have to." Charlotte's voice murmurs.

My eyes lift and I see another group of vampires on the horizon. Adam is leading the way.

He looks healthy and unscathed. I smile at the site, relieved.

Charlotte walks to greet him but I stay put, not wanting to look too interested.

I watch her hug him.

He doesn't seem to reciprocate.

They continue walking towards where I'm standing, where the crowds have gathered. Adam moves to the center and speaks.

"The war is underway. We've been attacked on both fronts. It's time to fight back and show this world that we will not be taken down. We will not die." He takes a few steps back and outstretches his arms, spinning slowly in his footsteps as he speaks, "Meta may have been singed, but we have not been obliterated. It's time we move our city closer to the shores."

"And how do you propose we get there?" A voice from the crowd interrupts.

She has a point. We're far inland, and as far as I can see none of the other vampires have cars.

"There's a small town not far from here. I can take groups, four at a time. We'll do a raid, collect some cars, fresh blood, anything else we deem necessary. Our presence here is no secret. Not anymore. We may as well step out from the shadows."

He meanders towards the center of the gathering.

"So, who wants to go first?"

A few of the vampires step forward while chatter breaks out among the rest.

I locate Charlotte and go to her.

"Surprised?" I murmur.

"Always gets what he wants." She responds. "This came at the perfect time."

"Mermaids and arson, huh?"

She bites her lip.

"What?" I ask.

"It wasn't the mermonsters. Fire isn't their thing."

"Hunters?" I whisper.

Her silence confirms my suspicion.