10: Unsettling Idiosyncrasies

~~~~~~OLIVIA~~~~~~

Avoiding the room Adam had gone into, I reach for a handle, checking what lies behind closed doors. It probably isn't the smartest thing to do in a vampire's house, but I'm tired and really couldn't care less about protocol. I push the door open, revealing a storage room filled with shelves and boxes and all sorts of trinkets.

It's strange, even in my semi-unconscious state I'm intrigued by this. I step in, following my eye's interest to a shelf on the right where a collection of fine jewelry is housed in a flat bowl. Some of it looks antique, other's more recent. I pick up a gold chain attached to an amber pendant, bringing it into my hand.

Who would want this stuff?

Auron's sister doesn't seem the type to be into jewelry. I move over to pick up a set of old binoculars on the next shelf. Strange assortment of things...

I'm playing with a porcelain music box when a voice startles me.

"Get out of here." Auron states.

I jump. "Fuck, you vampires are way too stealthy. You should wear bells around your necks." I mutter, holding my hand over my chest.

"You heard me, out." Auron says, standing firmly in the doorway, arms folded across his chest.

"What is all this stuff for?" I ask, putting the box back down where I found it.

"It's just a bunch of useless crap." Auron says.

"No shit, why do you have it?" I ask.

Auron steps into the room, reaches into his back pocket and pulls out a gold chain. He places it on the jewelry shelf with all the other necklaces.

"That's from the guy we killed today." I realize.

He looks from the shelf to me.

"Wow... this many, hm?" I gaze around the room, postulating the number of odds and ends he has stored in here. Hundreds, easily thousands.

"I told you to get out." He says.

This time I obey, stepping through the door with Auron following. He shuts it softly behind us then takes a few more steps down the hall and opens up a door.

"You can sleep in here." He says.

"Where will you sleep?" I ask. "Thought you said this house only has two beds."

"It does. And you're the only one of us who's ever going to be requiring." He says, holding the door open for me.

I feel so stupid, walking past him, my mind had temporarily forgotten that his kind didn't rest.