41: The Spark

OLIVIA

"That was amazing." I breathe. The car rolls onto the road and we start driving.

 I fix my hair and pull at the bottom of my shirt, making sure everything is as it was.

"Wow, just wow." I'm smiling so brightly. My muscles barely know how. I've never smiled, genuinely smiled like this before.

Adam says nothing but there's really noting to be said. I lean my head back and breathe in deeply. Everything seems right now. So, so right.

It's a long, peaceful ride through the forests. When we reach Meta the car stops and Adam lingers a moment before taking out the keys.

"Don't... say anything." He says.

"I wont, I promise." 

"Now wipe that smile off your face."

I do as commanded.

Adam opens his door and walks off into the woods as if I didn't exist. I exit and follow after him, glowing on the inside without letting anything shine through.

It isn't long before we come across other vampires.

"Adam," One calls out, rushing towards us. "There's been sightings of a strange girl around here. Be on the look out."

"Another sea monster?"

"I can only guess. Once they caught scent of the body it could only have angered them."

"Nothing to worry about." Adam says, plowing forward into the woods, "They can only come on land if their stomachs are full. Even then, they're weak. We'll kill ten more if it's needed." 

"Just thought you should be on alert." The other says.

"If I see a mermaid I'll be sure to kill it." Adam remarks.

The other vampire parts ways, leaving Adam and I to ourselves.

He turns to me. "You on the other hand, should be worried. Don't stray."

I nod. "I'll try not to."

We walk for a minute. "What did they do with the body?" I ask.

"Dropped it in the water." Adam says.

I can't help feeling that that was a bad decision, but who am I to say. It was obviously their intention to send a message. Which message exactly did they send?

My eyes trail around the surrounding area, keeping careful watch. Every now and then I glance behind us, checking for a sneaky killer.

Fortunately we make it to where we're going without a run in. Unfortunately, where we're going is Cedrick's house.

"Can't believe we're staying here." I state.

"You're staying here. Tonight the rest of us will hunt."

"You're leaving me alone?" I ask, baffled. "With a killer around?"

"They don't know about the trees." Adam says, knocking on the bark three times, hard.

"Who says they won't find out?"

The door opens. It's Cedrick.

"Change your mind about the meal, old friend?" He asks, eyes glued to me.

Adam gives a fake laugh. "Good try, Cedrick."

He places a hand on my back and leads me into the tree. Fortunately there's a few candles lit. Charlotte sits in what I suppose is the living room.

"You were gone all morning." She says.

"Went into the nearest city." Adam murmurs.

"Did you hear the news?"

He laughs. "Paranoia causes us to see things that aren't there."

"I saw her." Charlotte retorts. "She wasn't one of us."

Adam nods, stepping closer.

"We took down the last one, we can do it again." He says in a level voice. "But tonight, we'll fill our veins."

"I am hungry." She says.

Then she runs a hand through her hair and stands. "It'll be dark soon. Let's start heading out."

The corner of Adam's lip turns up.

"Olivia, your room is in the back, lock your door if you don't want to be dinner."

"On it." I say.

I rush down the hall and enter the small room before Adam and Charlotte are out the door. I flick the lock and flop down on the bed.

I'm exhausted.

It isn't long at all before I'm asleep. I enter the world of dreams and nightmares, clinging to the dotted line between the two while images of horrible creatures intertwine with Adam's golden kiss, until suddenly the spell is broken by a loud noise that awakens me. My eyes stand open as I wait to see if it was just a part of the dream. Then a hurried, loud knocking is heard at the door to my room. For an instant I'm paralyzed with fear, wondering if it could be that girl they talked about, wondering again if it was Cedrick trying to lure me out. It feels like the middle of the night. No one should be knocking at this time.

"Olivia, are you in there?" Adam's voice calls.

I bolt to the door, unlocking it and tearing it open.

"She's fine," Adam calls down the hallway.

"What do you mean fine? of course I'm fine." I utter.

Adam sighs, seemingly relieved yet troubled and heavy at the same time.

"There's been a kill." He says. "They took one of ours."