18: Car Shopping

~~~~OLIVIA~~~~

It's early morning. We come out of the forest after a short walk, duffle bags slung over our shoulders with the few belongings we couldn't leave behind. Who knows how long we'll be gone. Could be weeks, months. We won't be able to return to the forests as long as the hunters are around. But I have a feeling this city thing is going to work out. That is, as long as nobody loses control and screws it up.

I glance over my shoulder at Charlotte. 

"Looks well travelled." Adam says, stepping into the road in front of us.

There are discoloured stripes on the pavement where car tires must tread frequently.

"Think we could intercept a car?" Auron questions.  

Adam gives a mischevious grin, eyeing me up.

I smile wickedly.

"All right, go hide in the bushes." I mutter.

The vampires dissapear into the forest, leaving me at the side of the road.

I fix my shirt, and run my fingers through my hair, waiting patiently.

After a few minutes a car becomes visible in the distance. I stick out my thumb as it rolls closer, giving a shy smile to the driver.

Lucky, it's a young guy, maybe in his thirties.

He slows the car and pulls to the side of the street, rolling down his window.

"Hey, I'm really lost. Could you give me a ride to the-" I don't even need to finish the sentance.

In the blink of an eye, Auron is perched on the hood of the car, Adam coming around the passenger's side while Charlotte waits around back.

"Sorry buddy," Auron mutters, crawling in through the open window and sinking his teeth into the man's neck.

He's dead before he has time to react.

Adam pulls his body from the car and chucks it off to the side of the road.

We pile into the van, which is still running. Adam takes the drivers seat and starts the engine.

"That was nice." Auron says, licking his lips.

He's sitting in the passenger's seat next to Adam. Charlotte and I occupy the back, leaned as far away from each other as we can be.

"Can we put on some music?" I ask.

"I thought you hated music." Adam says.

"I do but it's too quiet in here, it's weird." I respond.

"Funny, Olive, none of us have a problem with it." Charlotte says.

I sigh and turn towards the window. It's no use.

"Only the humans are scared by silence." Auron remarks.

And as if to bother me they remain deathly quiet for the rest of the ride into the city.