6: That Night On The Beach ~ pt.1

~~~~~~~DYLAN~~~~~~~~

I ditch my bag at the front door and dash into the kitchen. Lauren's at my heels, singing some kiddie song she learned at school today.

"Dill, will you please make me something other than mac and cheese?" She asks.

I sigh and open up the cupboard.

"How about alphagetti?" I ask eyeing the can.

"Don't we have anything else?" She asks, stepping in front of me to have a look.

"I want these" She says.

"No you don't. That's pickled cabbage, that's disgusting."

"Okayyyy, I want this then." She says.

"Lauren that's just a can of tomato sauce.. Here, why don't you have this?" I hold up a cup-a-soup.

She stares at it.

"You'll love it," I assure her.

She prances off and I start boiling the water.

This after school routine is all too familiar and I can't wait for it to be over. With summer just a week away, soon I'll be making cash and hanging at the beach every day.

My phone buzzes in my pocket and I take it out, sit down at the table and read my text.

"Chillin at peace cove tonight, you in?"

It's from Blane, the real one, who turned out to be a pretty cool guy. He surfs. He say's he'll show me how to this summer. We've hung out a few times after school. Once to work on a project that turned into a night of playing video games and another time when we went to this concert in town square. 

I text back "sure."

I've been wanting to check out the beach since I got here but just haven't found the time, or anyone to go with.

The water on the stove starts boiling over. I stand up and rush to turn it off.

"Guess it's ready.." I murmur to myself.

"Lauren, come and get it!" I shout as I pour the water into the cup-a-soup.

I open up the little packet of flavouring and add it to the mix. Lauren is here already, peering over the counter at what I'm doing.

I bring the cup to the table and put it down for her, handing her a spoon.

"Hey, Lauren, I've got to go somewhere later today, but dad should be home not too long after I leave."

"Where are you going?" She asks.

"Peace cove, it's a beach." I answer.

"I want to go to the beach!" She shouts.

"No, not today Lauren. It's for big kids. I'll take you there in the summer sometime." I assure her.

She slurps her noodles and I laugh.

"Alright, see ya later." I smile, getting up and heading to my room.

 The hours pass by and after the exchange of a few texts I find out where and when exactly to meet Blane.

I head out, leaving Lauren in the living room with the TV on. It won't be too long before dad gets back..

I walk down to the main beach. It's crowded as always. But Blane says Peace cove is a quieter spot. It's a little further down the coast, but well worth the walk according to him. Apparently the waves there are better too.

I tred onto the sandy beach, navigating towels and sand castles as I make my way across.

It's six thirty now and the sun is casting it's warm orange glow.

Blane said some other people were coming. Hopefully this would turn out to be a fun night.