62: Nightwalk

~~~OLIVIA~~~

"Adam?" I walk up to the angry faced demon.

"Found an empty tent in the woods. A car's missing." He breathes.

"That's unfortunate." I mutter. On the inside I'm relieved. At least Auron's safe for now and no one has to die.

And we're alone.

"I need to go for a walk." He murmurs.

"Mind if I come?"

"No."

He turns for the woods. I follow.

We saunter through the starlit path in the chill of the night. The air is moist. There's no moon. I can hear the ocean.

"You guys killed the hunters, right?" I suddenly think to ask.

"A few of them." He responds.

My pace slows.

He turns to me. "Don't worry, I'll protect you." His words are hollow, but reassuring nonetheless.

I rub my shoulder against his as we walk on.

His hand slips into the curve of my waist.

Butterflies fill my stomach. I feel amazing.

Thinking about our future - how we've finally got everything lined up. All we have to do is win this war, then we can slip away together. Charlotte's out of the picture. Auron blew it with me. Now there's no more distractions for either of us. It's just me and Adam from here on out. A perfect immortal couple. Well, sooner or later... he'll keep his promise.

He pulls me into a kiss.

This moment I'll never forget. Absolute perfection.

"Did you hear that?" He pulls away, eyes scanning the surroundings.

"Nope. I didn't hear anything."

"Shhh." His hand covers my mouth.

I roll my eyes. "Come on, can't we get back to this?" I mumble through Adam's fingers.

He releases his grip and moves away, into the forest.

"Who's there?" He roars.

No answer. No surprize.

"Somebody's circling us." He says to me.

"I don't like the sound of that."

"Lets get out of here." Adam says with frightening intensity.

When he gets scared, you know there's trouble. I wonder if it's that boy...

Adam pulls me by the arm and we walk slowly but determined back to camp.

We make it back without issue and I start to wonder if we ever should have left. Were we ever really in danger? I wonder if Adam's just getting paranoid.

He stalks into the camp, leaving me behind. He doesn't look back. Guess that's it for tonight.

Time to get some sleep.

I head up to my tent when suddenly I hear Adam's booming voice. He's putting it on like he's talking to a crowd, and sure enough, as I follow the sound I come upon him addressing a large group of vampires.

"Tomorrow, we come at them with everything we have. Tomorrow, this war ends."