53: A Storm Begins

~~~~Dylan~~~~

"I'm taking a break." Cordelia's voice comes from the side of the boat.

"We're making headway." I smile, leaning over to see her.

"Yeah," She breathes, "At this rate we'll be there by dark."

"I've got to say, I don't really know what to do once we get there."

"You'll figure it out." Cordelia says confidently.

"You're putting a lot of faith in a story." I tell her.

"I'm putting my faith in you." She says, staring up at me with smiling eyes.

I grin. An urge tells me to jump in the water. Landing with a splash, I kick up to the surface and meet a cheerful face.

"Welcome to your kingdom." She smirks.

I pull her into a soft embrace, "Call it our kingdom." I murmur, giving in to the magnetic pull of her lips.

We spin fluidly in the water, indulging in the moment.

Then, something forceful rips me from my place. A swift impact hits my side like a sucker punch, knocking me from Cordelia's arms and carrying me down into the abyss. A sharp pain penetrates my abdomen, biting into me with the sting of a thousand needles. Struggling through the blur and bubbles, my eyes strain to make out what's holding me.

Then, something attacks it.

I break free and float to the surface. The boat is there and I grab hold of it, looking down into the bloody water to assess the situation.

Suddenly Cordelia scoops me up from beneath and dumps me in the boat.

She hauls herself up onto it, tail and all. Breathing heavily, she looks over me.

"What the hell was that?" I ask.

"A mermaid," She breathes, "I told you they wouldn't be happy."

Her eyes go to my stomach where blood flows from a ragged bite.

I cover it with my hand, stemming the flow.

"This isn't good." She says. "They know I'm with you now."

In that instant the sky opens up and rain pours down.  The water grows choppy, rocking the boat.

"We need to get to land." She says.

"Go." I reply.

She dives in, grabs the rope and pulls at lightning speed.

I lift my hand, letting the rain wash away the blood as thunder roars in the distance.