24: Awakening

~~~~DYLAN'S POV~~~~

My eyes crack open. Stinging and salty, the world is a blur. Greys and blacks. A dark shape hovers just above my head. A soft hand brushes through my hair.

I breathe deeply. Something inside my lungs hurts - stings - like my eyes.

A moment passes.

I can hear the waves and feel the wet sand beneath my skin. Rain is falling softly everywhere.

When I blink again the haze clears and a face comes into focus.

"Cordelia," I whisper, overjoyed.

A delicate smile graces her closed lips.

She places a hand on my bare chest sending electricity through my skin. Her face is above mine. Her long hair cascades towards the ground.

"You're the most beautiful thing I've ever seen." I try to lift my head but a throbbing pain brings me back toward the ground. My vision goes fuzzy. The world turns black again as blood sloshes through my veins.

When I wake up later I'm alone on the beach. The sky above is dark. Thunder rattles in the distance and rain falls hard all around. The tide is higher and the lapsing waves brush by my feet.

I sit up, look around and locate my house down the shore.

My throat is raw and my chest feels tight, but for the most part I'm okay.

I walk up to the back door, hoping and praying that Dad won't be home yet. But when I see flashing lights by the front of the house I realize the worst has happened.

"Dad, are you in here?" I burst through the back door, searching for him.

Inside I can hear crying. Low voices are murmuring in the living room.

"Dad?" I'm coming trough the hall.

"Dylan?" He whirls around the corner and nearly collides with me. "Where were you? You've been gone for hours."

"Dill?" Lauren's voice calls from the living room.

She runs out into the hall and wraps her arms around my legs. She's been crying.

"Your sister phoned me in a panic. She said you went into the water and disappeared. Dylan, I called the police."

Presently an officer walks out into the hall. He stares at me.

"This your boy?" He asks my father.

I take a deep and painful breath.

Dad looks furious.

This has all gone horribly wrong.