22: Spilt Blood

~~~~~OLIVIA'S POV~~~~~~

When I open my eyes I find the sun has risen. The car is moving. I sit up straight and look around the cabin at everyone else.

Charlotte is in the front next to Adam and Auron sits next to me. He greets me with a half smile.

"Morning."

"Hey," I mutter,  turning away to look out the window.

We're driving through forest, sunlight flashing as it falls on us through the trees.

"Sleep well?" Auron whispers.

My eyes meet his and hold for a moment.

"Fine." I reply. "Where are we headed?" I ask, changing the subject.

Auron opens his mouth, hesitates. Adam answers instead.

"To the ocean. I have some unfinished business to take care of." His voice is strong and firm.

I lean back in my seat.

"So we're seeing Lana?"

"It'll be the last time." He breaths.

The corner of my mouth curves up. I like the sound of that.

As we pull around a corner my body leans to the side and I realize just how fast he's driving.

My eyes cling to the horizon as we plow forward into the deeper woods.

Soon the car pulls to the side of the road. Adam removes the keys, pops his door open and steps out. I reach for the handle of my door, eager to follow.

"Leave it." Charlotte breathes.

I freeze. She didn't even look back.

"Where's he going?" I ask, my eyes following him as he moves through the forest. 

 "You know exactly where he's going." Charlotte says.

I sigh.

"So what are we supposed to do; just wait?"

"I'm sorry, is that not good enough for you?" She asks in a demeaning tone.

"I've been cramped up in this car all night," I complain, "I'm going for a walk, at least."

I open the door.

"I'll keep an eye on her." Auron says to Charlotte.

I'm twenty feet ahead of the car when he catches up with me. We step into the forest where we're out of Charlotte's sight.

"Olivia?"

I turn sharply. "Last night, when they came back-?" I question.

"I propped you up against the window when I heard them coming." He answers quickly.

I stare at the leaves on the ground. "Right. Good."

"Olivia, I've got to warn you about Adam, though."

"He isn't going to do anything to me." I say, indignant.

Auron shakes his head. "You don't know him like I do."

"I trust that man more than anyone else on the planet."

"That's a mistake."

"No."

"You're aware of what he's doing right now, yes?"

I bite my lip.

"Don't believe for a second that you're any different to him."

"Auron, I think you've got things wrong."

"No. You're the one who's got it wrong. I think you're a great person, Olivia, but you're incredibly naive and you have no idea how much danger you're putting yourself in."

"Excuse me-"

"Shhh, listen. Can you hear that?"

Screaming, far off by the shore.

"He's-"

"Yeah."

"It's Lana, he was using her from the beginning."

Auron lowers his head, eyes willing me to understand from beneath the curve of his brows. They are big, brown and kind.

"I want to help you." He breathes.

I exhale through my mouth as shrill cries ring out in the distance.

"Never thought I'd hear those words from you."

He touches my waist, pulling me closer.

Suddenly I am swept up in a whirlwind of euphoria. His gentle lips pulling mine into the softest kiss I've ever held.

He breaks off and for a moment a bright smile flashes across his pale face, revealing the fangs I so envy.

"Damn you," I whisper.

He gives a guilty grin. Holding both my hands, he brings them together in between us.

"Please, just consider for a second that I might be right about this." He speaks with gravity. "I do care about you."

I shake my head. "Why?"

"Just a feeling that I get when I'm around you."

He glances over his shoulder.

"Adam's coming." He whispers.

"Alright."

"Consider." He repeats.

I lead our walk back to the car where Charlotte is waiting in the passenger seat with an I'm-better-than-you sneer.

Opening the door feels like walking into a prison cell.

Then Adam sits down in the driver's seat. He's wet, a few blood stains on his shirt. It would look worse if he hadn't had the opportunity of washing his hands in the ocean. Still, diluted pink smudges are beginning to dry on his arms and around his mouth. He puts the keys in the ignition and starts the car.

"Everything alright?" Auron asks him.

"Couldn't be better. It's all behind me now."