69: Moments

DYLAN

Things got violent fast.

Within the first moments I realized I was doing more dodging than fighting, absorbing blows without the time to throw any.

This isn't how you win. This is how you fall behind.

Something needs to change.

I duck as he heaves his fist toward my head.

Jumping with all the force I have, I launch myself onto the next boulder, landing ungracefully but safely. This leaves me seconds to recouperate as he makes his way towards me.

I have to figure out a plan, or it'll be me left lifeless upon these rocks and the mermaids taking the hit of defeat, whatever that entails. I hope they won't find out.

He's unsteady as he moves from rock to rock. His downfall, my advantage. I launch my first attack in that brief moment where I may have the upper hand. It works, in the sense that I am able to strike without being blocked or worse. But he is undetered and more or less unharmed. This is only the first step in what will be a long road to wearing him down. I block his next blow, but the one that follows connects.

My hand goes to my stinging jaw, assessing the damage. It's a mistake he takes advantage of.

I realize my only chance at gaining the upper hand is in the location switch. But how much energy will it take to outrun him? I guess I'll find out.

The leap lands me on safer ground, for now. He takes his time before following. He doesn't want to let me get a shot at him again and plans his transition carefully.

So, I don't run at him but away from him, completing the circle and landing up where we started.

A spray of salt water brings my attention momentarily away from the game. I glance toward the ocean which has stirred up significantly. The waves crash hard, sending white water so high it coats my skin in it's mist.

The rocks are getting slippery. I grin.

He steps across the gap and I hit him hard, knocking him off balance. He tumbles to the rock, catching himself on his battered hands.

From the ground he grabs my ankle and pulls me down. He clambers on top of me, trying to pin me down. Struggling as much as I can, I feel overpowered.

Then a wave hits.

Water engulfs us both and I squirm free as the liquid surges away, washing with it our blood.

Thunder rolls across the sky, suddenly darkening. The angry eyes of a vampire pull my gaze back into the moment. Something shiny pulls my eyes away from his. In his white knuckled hand he grasps a silver knife.

"That's not fair." I state, looking from it to him.

"Isn't it?" He charges unexpectedly.

I jump for whatever momentary saftey I can find. My heart is in my throat. I want nothing more than to live to see Lauren again. To see Cordelia. My dad.

Everything is hinging on these short moments.

A sound distracts me again. The roar of a wave louder than any I've heard before.

He hears it too and wastes not time running towards me, knowing it's his only chance, giving everything he has to drive that knife into it's target.

I'm not sure which hit's first. But suddenly we're overwhelmed with water, which bears down on us, throwing us againts the rock and pulling us out in it's rip tide. I see nothing but darkness, feel nothing but sheer natural force.

And I wonder,who wins, if neither of us survive?