47: Reunion

~~~DYLAN~~~

I tiptoe softly down the hallway. No one in sight, but my nerves are high. If they catch me I'm screwed.

As I approach a corner I slow down. There's a sound of muffled voices. I peep my head around just for a second.

At the end of the hall there's someone standing. I don't think they saw me.

Scared, I back up. But I can't wait forever. There's no other way out of this hall.

After a few moments I peak around the corner again. The coast is clear now. It's my break.

I turn and stride down the hall as quickly and quietly as possible.

I make it to the elevator. Too risky. There's a set of stairs beside it. I take those.

The stairwell is quiet and I feel like I'm alone. There's great relief as I climb down, level by level, toward my freedom.

Then a sound. A squeaking door swings open a floor below. Shit.

I glance at the door to the second floor, debating. As the footsteps from below are gaining I make my decision.

I push open the door and stroll onto the second floor. It's an empty hallway but there are many voices in rooms and open doors just waiting for someone to walk out. 

To my side is the door to a storage closet. I try it. It opens and I dart in. 

As the door closes I realize there's somebody else in here.

It startles me but I stare long enough to figure out who it is.

My sister's dark eyes are staring back. A punctured blood bag drips onto the floor as she pulls it from her stained mouth.

"Dill!" A charming smile lights up her face.

I crouch in the tight closet and wrap my arms around her.

She drops the blood bag, splatting it on the floor.

"I missed you so much!" She whispers.

"Me too." I state. "You been okay?"

She nods.

"What are you doing here?" She asks.

"I'm trying to escape actually. Without being seen."

She smiles.

"I know a way. I'll show you."

She takes my hand. We pry open the door and peer out into an empty hallway.

"This way" She whispers, stepping out.