12: Morning in the Woods

~~~~~~~OLIVIA~~~~~~~

I wake up to sunlight pouring in my window. After rolling over and dancing between sleep and consciousness for a while, I figure I'm awake enough to get up. I stare at the wall I'm facing. The off white paint is dirty and chipping, some areas look rippled from water damage.

This room really has the bare minimum. An ancient bed, (highly uncomfortable by the way, with lumpy stuffing and springs you can actually feel), and a small wooden bedside table blanketed with a light layer of dust.

I sit up and rub the kinks out of my neck.

Birds chirp outside my window, adding a cozier feeling to this otherwise unfriendly place.

I get up and fetch my bag from the far wall. Digging through the clothes I'd hurriedly stuffed in there, I pick out a new top and shorts.  

After changing I toss my bag on the bed and go out into the hall, shutting the door behind me. I hear no sounds, which either means the vampires are out of the house or they're just being their abnormally quiet selves. They have such excellent hearing that they need not raise their voice above a whisper when talking to each other.

I tip toe through the living room and peer into the kitchen, nothing, nobody. There's a large window above the kitchen counter, facing the backyard of the house. I walk up to it and take a look outside.

Bright morning sunshine highlights the deep green forestry with a yellowish glow. Just off through the trees I can see the ocean's horizon. The water must not be far from here.

Seeing as the vampires appear to be absent from the house, I decide to go for a little walk to check things out.

There's a back door in the kitchen, which I open to reveal a short wooden staircase leading down from the house.

I step outside letting the door swing closed behind me. The smell of the salty air wafts towards me just the way it always had at Adam's house.

It's funny how they both live near the ocean. Aurons house is certainly more suited as a hideaway. No one would ever come out here, trekking through such a long stretch of forest and uneven terrain. The house is so old that the road that once led to it is overgrown with trees, now indistinguishable from the rest of the woods.  

I scuttle around the thick roots of trees, climbing down the steep slope towards the smell of the ocean air.

I can hear the waves now, lapping up on the shore not far from now.

Through a gap in the trees I catch sight of the wide open ocean, it's clear water almost blue-green. There's no sandy beaches here. The edge of land is made up of pores black rock, dropping off like a cliff, before the ocean.   

Standing near the edge, I kick a loose rock over the edge and listen for the splash. It's a fair way down.

Grabbing hold of a tree branch, I lean my head over the edge and look down. A slue of jagged rocks stick up out of the ocean below, heavy waves crashing rhythmically against them.

"Be careful." Adam's voice warns from behind me.

I step back, turning to look at him. He's alone, thank goodness.

"I'm sure there's mermaids down there just waiting for you to fall." He jokes, coming closer to me.

"Where've you been?" I ask.

"Their cupboards were empty. We went into town to pick up some food for you." He says.

"Oh. Thanks." I reply.

"Charlotte's making eggs if you want them" He offers.

I place my hand against the trunk of a tree.

"So that's the monster's name?" I question.

He rolls his eyes and turns to go.

"I'll be back at the house if you need me."

"Adam, wait. Can't we just talk to each other for two minutes alone?" I beg.

He stops.

"We're not leaving this house." Adam states.

"That's not what it's about." I say.

He turns around and steps towards me.

A smile cracks my desperate face, as I feel that in this moment I hold all the cards. Maybe this time I'll get what I want.

"Auron offered to change me." I say, beaming.

"He what?" Adams voice rumbles.

He looks upon me with fearce eyes.

"I could do it any time. I could be a vampire." I brag.

"That bastard's in for it." He growls, stomping quickly towards the house again.

"Aren't you going to change me?" I cry. "Adam, come back here and change me before he does!" I shout.

He ignores me and presses on through the forest.

I get a sinking feeling that what I've just done wasn't the best idea.

"Adam, where are you going?" I call, running after him.

He must have caught sound of my footsteps, because he suddenly rushes to get away from me, travelling at superhuman speeds I can't keep up with.

I sigh, returning to walking pace. There's no outrunning a vampire. Whatever he's about to do, I can't stop it.