54: Refusal

OLIVIA

"He needs to eat." Charlotte tells me.

It's early morning and her surprize visit to my tent is not a welcome one. I had been sleeping before she intruded.

"You're asking me to hunt?" I question.

"If I go, Adam will know something is up." She whispers, "Take a car out and bring back a couple of bodies. If anyone asks where you were you can tell them you needed food."

"I don't know if you're aware, Charlotte, but I've never killed someone before."

"That's why I got you this." She reveals a gun, hidden in the breast of her jacket.

I take one look at it and shake my head, "I don't think so."

"Olivia, I'm counting on you. I know what you have with my brother -"

"I have nothing with your brother." I interrupt.

"He told me everything. I'm cool with it. You're my only ally and he needs you."

"I didn't sign up for this." I  state. "Just be thankful I'm keeping your secret. I'm not hunting for you."

I leave the tent and stride away, wanting as much distance from her and the situation as possible. I'm not investing my time in somehting I didn't agree to, something that will only be a burdon on me.

I run into Adam. Or rather, the swarm of minions accompanying him.

"Adam," I whisper, cruising in next to him as he leads his merry followers towards what I haven't a clue.

"Busy." He utters, annoyed.

"Adam, I want to talk to you."

"Not now." He reiterates.

I pretend to collapse onto the ground, causing a stir to the tailing onlookers.

He grabs me by the wrist and pulls me to my feet, flush with anger. I am quickly whisked into a tent, acomplishing what I'd set out to do.

"Olivia what the hell is wrong with you?" His voice booms.

I try to kiss him and am met with angry eyes.

"I wanna do this again." I whine.

"This is not the time. We do it on my terms."

"Like hell we do." I thrust myself onto him but he's quick to pull back.

"Olivia, calm down." He whispers harshly, placing his outstreched hands on my shoulders to hold me at arms length.

There's a disturbance outside. Vampires shout and call Adam's name.

"What's going on?" I ask.

"I would imagine the mermaids are retaliating after what we did last night."

"You started the war?" I ask, shocked it had begun so abruptly and without my knowledge.

"It started the day you were attacked." He responds.

"How many did you kill?" I ask sharply.

"Clearly, not enough." Adam responds, and leaves the tent to address his followers.

I stumble out of the tent only to watch him walk away into the distance. With fear of vengeful mermaids part of me wishes I had gone to hunt.