33 - The fountain

Bea entered the garden and stopped to talk to Julio, who was weeding. "The roses look beautiful. I should cut some for an arrangement."

"I'll be happy to. I'll bring them to Rosa in the kitchen." Julio smiled when he said his wife's name.

Bea continued on the path to her fountain. She had never questioned her fountain before, but feared for the first time it had failed.

Vanessa confided in Bea Tommy was coming to visit. First Jonathan came home for a happy reunion with his friends. Bea suspected Tommy's visit would cause tears. Vanessa had been certain he had found a girl in Georgia. She assumed he was hiding her because Richard wouldn't approve.

Bea was lucky of all her friends, she married a pussy cat. Bill was happiest when he made his wife and daughter happy. Next on the list was Ed, Grace's husband. He was a watermelon. Under his tough rind, he was a softie (especially with his daughters). Then there was the Judge, he was a difficult man, but he loved his wife and his sons. He came from old money and with it came high expectations, but he wasn't the worst husband she knew by a long shot.

If Tom loved a sweet girl from Georgia, Richard Hayes would require a prenup, but he wouldn't block his son from marrying her. If he intended to intervene in his sons' choices of wives, he would have stopped Trey from marrying Jessica. Bea knew Vanessa never liked her oldest son's wife.

The Hayes family wasn't Bea's only concern. Poor Tori had been waiting for Tommy to return to her for over ten years. As years passed without a word from Tommy, those who loved Tori tried to tell her to move on. Unfortunately, their advice fell on deaf ears. If Tommy didn't return alone, Tori's heart would be bruised, but the spunky girl wouldn't break.

Her precious fountain had let her down. She flipped a coin and said, "Find Tori a new wish."

She stood and concentrated a while longer on her wish. She turned when she heard a sweet voice.

"Lina, darling. Did you come to see my fountain?"

"Fish." The sweet dark hair child made fish bubbles with her mouth. "Tia, fish."

Bea smiled at the girl and her aunt, who often came to play while Rosa was busy in the kitchen.

"Enjoy the fish, Lina."

Bea waved as she walked back to the house. Rosa would have her lunch ready.

Scroll for Tom and Katie's video trailer...

Chapter Photo credits:@Sexlim Depositphotos

@Sexlim Depositphotos.com

One Wish in a Million is the next story in the series. Read it today.