23 - A lot more hair

Tom came home to find Katie asleep on the sofa. She looked peaceful. He was glad she was sleeping, although he'd instantly worry if she slept too much. Would there ever be a time when he would stop worrying about her? Probably right before she moved on with her life, leaving him behind. Would she do to him what he had done to Tori?

The table had bags of groceries. He was glad she had gone with their new neighbor. He'd wait until she woke before he tackled that task. He went outside to call his mother without disturbing Katie. He couldn't tell her about his marriage, she wouldn't understand.

"Darling. How's Hawaii?"

"It's nice."

"That's where we should come visit you."

He felt panicked. "I'll be working constantly."

"Your father's busy, too."

He appreciated his father's work would keep his parents from traveling.

"What else is happening?" He didn't fear hearing about Tori like he had.

"Nothing, except I miss my sons. When will you come home and see everyone for yourself?"

He watched as Katie opened the door and approached him. "I don't know, Mom. I don't know." She was smiling and he couldn't find a coherent thought. His mother was talking, but he honestly didn't comprehend a word. It had been so long since he had seen her looking rested and happy. Was she happy?

"Tom? Tom? Are you still there?"

"Sorry, mom. What were you saying? I was distracted by the scenery."

"It must be beautiful."

"Yes, very."

"I said that Bea thinks Sage might finally have a baby now she's married. I'll be the only one on our street who isn't a grandmother."

"Talk to Trey about that." He wished he could help her out.

"Oh, that will never happen, but maybe your brother will come home with his girl. She was nice."

"You liked her?" He had heard his parents were pleasant when they visited Jonathan.

"Of course. I like everyone."

"Did Dad?"

"He thought she was smart."

That was something. "What's her background?"

"She's smart and articulate. You know you don't have to find a girl like Bella or Tori. I just want you to be happy."

"Me too, Mom." His happiness was sitting next to him listening to half of their conversation. "It must be late for you. I need to think about my dinner."

"Okay, sweetheart. It was nice talking to you. I love you."

"Love you too."

He hung up and looked at Katie. She was still smiling at him. "How can the man who avoids his family love his mother like you obviously do?"

He went to explain using Paco and Mama, but stopped. If she was smiling, he didn't want to give her a reason to cry. "The rift was with Jon and Trey. My father jumped to Trey's defense, and I jumped to Jon's. Jon was the one telling the truth. Years later, it seems like an overreaction, but I'm still not ready to go home."

"Why? Don't you miss your mother? Is it because of Tori? You still love her?" She frowned.

"No! I told you I didn't. Not like that. I would think about going home, but you're my legal wife. So unless you want to pretend in front of my friends and family, we shouldn't take that trip. Besides we just got here."