27 - Bye

Tom counted down the hours until he had to say goodbye to Katie. He hated the thought of leaving her. She had been doing so well, but he didn't want her to go back to missing Paco. If she missed anyone, he hoped it would be him. He would miss her every minute. Over the past ten months, he had fallen more in love with her each day. Being her husband in every way but one was almost perfect. He secretly thought they were better suited than she and Paco ever were. He wanted to confess his love to her, but knew it would be a mistake. He was afraid she would panic and he would return to find she had left him. He would build a life with her, even if she couldn't love him the way he longed for.

If he wasn't relying on Laurie to take care of Katie, he would resent her for monopolizing some of his last hours. His trip was nothing like Paco's. He would be safe behind a computer and would come home.

The evening breeze was warm, and he felt sad to be missing his last two months in paradise. He sipped his beer and smiled at Katie, who watched him. She stood by Laurie, as she talked about something he tuned out. He wished he could read her mind because she stared at him. Her smile became more forced, and he knew his leaving had caused her to worry.

Dean slapped his back. "Don't worry. Laurie plans to keep her so busy she won't miss you."

He turned and looked at the older man. He made a joke out of his inner turmoil. "I hope I can't be replaced that easily."

Dean laughed and shook his head. "You two should be the poster children for young love. You both spend all your time worrying about making the other one happy. Christ, you must be on fire in bed!"

Tom tried to smile, but he felt sad because Dean would probably be right if they ever loved each other that way. He had enough fantasies to fill more pages than Tolkien. "I'd worry about what's going on in your own bed, seeing as you and your wife are so interested in what's happening in mine."

Dean laughed. "Things are just fine."

"Good to know." He winked. "Just look out for her. I'm not worried, but I like knowing you're keeping an eye on things."

"Laurie keeps her eye on everything in a hundred yard radius. Not to worry."

Tom laughed, because he wasn't exaggerating. She reminded him of Bea and often caused him to miss the life he had left. He dreamed of taking Katie home with him and dancing with her in a gorgeous gown. In his dream, she was his wife in every way.

She clung to him in bed and it took every ounce of self-control not to flip on top of her and kiss her breathless. He bit his tongue to prevent himself from telling her the truth. He was awake long after her breathing evened out and she was asleep. He whispered so softly even he couldn't hear it. "I love you."

When he woke he had twenty-four hours before he had to say goodbye. Thankfully, he didn't have to work, but he had to do laundry and pack. He wanted to go shopping with her to make sure she had plenty of food. He whispered to Laurie to make sure she ate. She nodded and knew Katie had a small appetite, although she had gained back some weight. If she lost anymore, she would look unhealthy again.

Their pending goodbye weighed on him. He hated goodbyes. He called his mother.

"When you come back, you'll be returning to Georgia?"

"Right after, just in time for my active service to end."

"I feel like we should celebrate. Come home and we'll have a party."

"I can't. I have a job waiting for me and reserves will eat up my vacation time." It was true. He really wouldn't be able to go home.

"We should have come to see you in Hawaii. Now we missed our chance."

It was just a matter of time before his mother announced a visit. He felt as if his two separate worlds would collide and Katie would be the victim.

"I'll email you and you can tell me what is going on, okay."

He looked up at Katie watching him. He barely listened as his mother told him about a charity event. When she stopped talking, he said, "It sounds like a nice time." In truth, it didn't. He was happy being in their tiny little house with Katie.

When he ended the call after telling her he loved her, Katie smiled.

Only when he wanted time to slow down did it speed up. It appeared as if the hands on the clock were spinning too fast. The day disappeared and with it each minute they had left. He insisted on cooking for her. He made stuffed shells, a meal she loved growing up.

"My aunt made it for me. She took care of me until my stepmother took over."

"Where is she now?" He had never met any family members.

She smiled. "She met a man and moved to Alaska. I was never good at keeping in touch, neither is my dad."

"I guess we both have that in common."

"I listen to you. You're a good son, but it doesn't surprise me since you're such a good man."

He shook his head. "I'm just human and plenty of people would probably disagree with you."

"If they ever did, I'd tell them off."

Katie meeting Tori was at the bottom of his list of things to do in life, but if he ever brought her home, it would be unavoidable unless she had moved to Alaska and no one told him. He smiled at the thought.

"What?" She was smiling at him.

"Nothing. I was just imagining you telling my brother off."

"Your family would hate me."

"Never. Just Trey, but that's okay because he doesn't like me."

His last night home, they both cried. He fell asleep like he had so many nights with a damp shoulder. In the morning, they were both quiet as she made him breakfast.

"You don't have to."

"I want to. You have a long flight."

"Promise me, you'll eat."

"I'll eat." He wasn't sure if he believed her. "I'm going to email Laurie to check up on you."

"You don't trust me." She looked hurt.

"I just worry. It's not a matter of trust. I trust you with my life." Because I love you.

Breakfast ended and neither spoke on the short ride to his departure location. He was glad Laurie didn't come to see him off. When he held on to Katie and hugged her goodbye, they both cried. He hated goodbyes, and this was his worst ever. He kissed the top of her head and tightened his squeeze until time was up and he was forced to let her go. He wanted to kiss her, but he couldn't leave her confused and possibly in shock.

Her voice cracked. "Bye, Tommy."

"Bye, Luce."

He waved goodbye and didn't stop until he stepped out of sight. He missed her immediately.