6 - Army

Five years later...

Camp Arifjan, Kuwait, Regional Cyber Center (RCC) SW Asia

"It's so f-ing hot!" Paco was always complaining about the heat.

"Hey Paco, quit complaining. You grew up in Florida. I'm the one from the north." Tom laughed. At West Point, his best friend complained all winter about the cold.

The two had been inseparable since their second year. Both chose computer science and followed the natural path into Cyber Command. They were stationed at Fort Gordon in Georgia, but were doing a short tour in Kuwait.

Tom had spent many Christmases at the Álvarez' house. He hadn't set foot in Weston since he and Jon stormed out that New Year's Day. He was waiting for Trey and the judge to apologize to Jon, but neither had. His rift with his father grew when he discovered Tom's major wouldn't get him into law school.

"Another week and we're out of this dust bowl." Tom knew the next thing Paco would complain about was the chow. It was actually pretty good. The base had all the comforts of home, including Starbucks and Taco Bell, which Paco scoffed at. Tom should be the one complaining, considering how he was raised. It was a far cry from filet mignon and oysters on the half shell.

Occasionally, his mind went back in time to another world. Usually, he remembered the blue sapphire gown. His mother would mention Tori from time to time. He had chosen the army over her, and whoever she was with would give her more attention than he could.

His wish he made when they were together came true. The judge had no control over his life. He hoped the other wish he made for Tori to be happy had come true too. The pain he felt when they broke up had dissipated, but some memories were hard to purge.

Jonathan had never returned to Weston either. After graduating with a degree in education, he taught in Nashville for a couple years before he went to teach children in The Democratic Republic of Congo. He and Jon emailed and Skyped often. He couldn't wait to get out of Kuwait, but Jon never complained about the weather in Africa.

After dinner, the two friends hung out like they had since their days in the dorms as cadets. Paco shut his eyes. "I'm envisioning myself on a bar stool at The Barracks with a beer in front of me."

"And I bet I'm not even beside you."

"Maybe on one side, but on the other there's a beautiful red-haired beauty."

"Man, you've got to ask her out. If you don't, I swear I will."

"You wouldn't dare."

Only because Paco was his best friend. "I would if she didn't blush every time you talk to her. She likes you."

"She has that friend. I bet she'd be interested."

"Yeah, I know, but I don't like blondes."

Paco pursed his lips. He knew not to bring up Tori. "You're running out of brunettes between the base and Augusta."

Tom sat up and punched Paco's arm. "Not true. I haven't gone out with that many women."

Paco laughed like he just told the punch line to the funniest joke. "Man, your problem is that anytime they cling, you get spooked. You're a commitment-phobe."

"Hey, at least I'm not afraid to ask them out."

He wasn't afraid of a commitment. He was too young for anything serious. He would commit to dating if he ever found a girl he cared about. He had a very specific measuring stick. He had only ever dated his best friend.

Changing the focus, he teased his friend. "If you ever bring Katie Murphy home to meet Mama C, I want to be there. She likes me, but she expects you to marry a girl who speaks Spanish and I don't mean high school Spanish."

Mama C had expectations about who her children could marry. Did his parents care who he married? He wasn't about to meet anyone who matched their social sphere in his current life, and he really didn't care.

Fort Gordon, Augusta, Georgia

The Barrack was a bar close to the base owned by Kevin Murphy. Murph had been a staff sergeant before he retired and took over the roadside establishment. Because he had been in the army, the place was popular with enlisted and officers alike. Since it was off base, they wore civvies and drank without formalities.

When Tom entered the night after returning from Kuwait, he saw Paco already perched on a stool and Katie behind the bar. Paco had left their apartment while Tom was doing some laundry. If he didn't ask her out, Tom would do the asking for him. Tom was only kidding about asking her out for himself. He was trying to put a fire under his friend's ass. He liked Katie, but she was meant for Paco whether or not Mama C liked it.

She smiled at him when she saw him. He waved as he approached the bar.

"Hey Pac."

"Amigo. I'm so glad to be home." When he smiled, Tom was secure enough in his own masculinity to acknowledge his friend was a good-looking guy. He was over six feet, which made him taller than Tom. His brown eyes always had a sparkle. He was happy unless he complained about the weather or the food. Katie had to be a half a foot shorter than Paco.

"Hi, Tom. Welcome back." Katie came over to greet him with her illuminating smile.

"Thanks. Can I have something local on draft?"

She nodded. "I've got an ale and a wheat."

"The ale, I guess. What's new with you?"

He was hoping she'd say she had a date with his friend.

"Not much. Just working at the hospital and filling in here to help my dad."

He glared at his friend when she turned her back. He spoke through clenched teeth. "What are you waiting for next year, just in time to get ordered someplace like Germany or Korea or back to frigging Kuwait?"

Paco moaned. They both knew they had no choice in where they went and when. They considered themselves lucky to still be together after finishing school.

Katie came back with his draft. He smiled at her. "Hey, Katie. You working until close tonight?"

"Nah, only until ten. I have twelve hours at the hospital tomorrow. Why d'you ask?"

"My friend here wanted to talk to you for a minute."

She smiled. "Yeah. I'm listening."

Tom leaned over to his friend. "You want to fly solo here?"

Paco shook his head. Tom laughed. The guy had no reason to be nervous. He was the real deal. He was kind, funny, and handsome.

She stood waiting, and finally Tom sighed. "Come on. Listen, Mr. Cat's Got His Tongue wants to ask you out. What's your next night off?"

She smiled. "Not until Sunday."

"Okay. He'll pick you up here at... Do you work on Monday morning?" She nodded. "At six, you two will have dinner. Hopefully, he'll learn to talk." Paco muttered in Spanish. "In English between now and then. You can still get home early enough to rest up for your shift. No one wants a tired, cranky nurse. Although if he learns to talk, you may be tired, but not cranky."

The two of them looked stunned, but she agreed.

"Okay, great! Phew, I'm glad we got that over with. Can I get some wings to go with this beer?"

"Ranch, right?"

He smiled. "Yup. I hate blue cheese. I'd rather eat caviar."

She laughed. "You are always saying the craziest things. Caviar!" She walked away, still laughing.

Paco looked at him. "Have you?"

He nodded. Tom's friend had met Tori. Paco also knew his father was a judge, and he grew up more comfortable than the average middle class. He never wanted to tell the grandson of immigrants from a communist held country that his family's wealth dated back generations to the industrial revolution. His friend didn't need to know he had trust funds. They made enough money to support their lifestyle. His tuxedo days were long gone. He smiled, imagining the day Paco married Katie with Mama C in tears and not happy ones. He'd stand at his friend's side looking good in his uniform right down to his polished shoes.

Paco made a face, showing his disgust. "Fish eggs. Do I even know you?"