2 - No goodbye

Six months later, New Year's Eve

"Shush." Tommy put his finger to his mouth. He had Tori's hand and was pulling her through his house toward the basement stairs - the pool house was too cold.

They had the afternoon before they needed to be ready for the New Year's Eve party Bea was hosting. When Tommy came home at Thanksgiving, it relieved him the time apart hadn't changed their relationship.

Most of the time, he was too busy and tired to miss anyone. His classes were harder than any he took at their private high school, even the AP ones. Along with the studying, he had intramurals and workouts. Although he shined in high school sports, he wasn't good enough to make the army teams.

His Christmas break was only two weeks while most other universities had a month or longer. He and Tori had been inseparable, but as the clock ticked, he was aware how hard leaving her would be. He would be fine once he was back in uniform, but seeing her cry as they said goodbye each time broke his heart.

They wasted no time shedding their clothes. Her skin was amazingly soft and smelled of coconut. She ran her fingers through his closely clipped hair.

"I miss your curls."

Not able to respond, knowing his hair would be short for years, he silenced her with his mouth. She tasted like home to him. They were two of a kind, both had grown up pampered. Nothing about the life of a cadet was pampered. If not for his stubborn determination not to fail, he might never have made it through Beast, his cadet basic training. There was no place for failure with a father like Richard Hayes.

He felt as if he were straddling two worlds. There was the one he had known since birth with endless parties, stolen booze and Tori pressed against him. Then there was the world where he answered commands and saluted. He wasn't wealthy or poor; he was just a cadet.

"You hiding down here!"

They jumped apart and Tori scrambled under a blanket as they heard footsteps coming down the stairs. The footsteps stopped.

Jon's voice was closer. "You decent?"

Tori giggled.

"Bare - ly" He joked. He had wiggled into his boxers and was pulling his shirt over his head.

Jonathan rounded the corner and looked from him to Tori wrapped in the blanket to the pile of clothes on the floor.

"Having fun, kids?"

"I can see you are at our expense."

"Sorry, I have a message."

"What couldn't wait?"

"You should thank me. Mom was going to come find you. I doubt she would have announced herself. Apparently, she wants a family brunch tomorrow. Sorry Victoria, it doesn't include you."