20 - A burden

Tom hadn't mentioned Hawaii again, but Katie kept thinking of herself alone in his apartment - their apartment. She had moved in, and he never asked for a dime. It was a good thing because she was broke and wasn't ready to back to work. She wanted to but couldn't face sick children. On good days, she would look online for nursing positions, but none ever felt right. One day a hospice position was listed, and she cried for an hour. Everything caused tears without warning.

She missed Paco every minute. Sometimes she'd panic because she wouldn't remember his scent. Then she'd breathe in his aftershave and cry. Tom should send her back to her father, but he promised he'd take care of her.

One evening, Tom acted strange during dinner. He fidgeted and wasn't eating, which was her thing. He normally tried to keep a conversation going but was silent. Finally, the stress got to her. "What's wrong? Are you leaving tomorrow? Are you going to Kuwait?"

He shook his head and smiled. He smiled like her greatest fears were funny. "No, I just have something on my mind. Nothing has changed about Hawaii."

She relaxed, as did he. After they cleaned the kitchen, he scooped out some ice cream without asking if she wanted any.

"Here something sweet."

She took it and tasted the creamy chocolate. Ice cream was Tom's favorite, but she liked it, too. Unfortunately, it reminded her of the good times they shared together. Eating now, she didn't feel she deserved to enjoy her favorite things.

He sighed. "I've exhausted every option to find housing for us, but one. I need you to listen to me before you say no."

If he already knew that she wouldn't like it, why was he asking?

"Here's the thing. We can live on base if we were married." She instantly opened her mouth, but he put his hand out to stop her. "I know every argument you will have. Listen to the reasons it might be the best solution. Besides being able to come with me to Hawaii. I honestly believe a change of scenery might do some good. Every issue you faced when he died..." They rarely spoke his name out loud. "... will be taken care of. Not that I expect anything to happen to me, even if I go back to Kuwait. I will have reserve trips and civilian trips, but you would be the one they would notify. They would take care of you with the benefits the army provides."

"But that's not fair. What about your parents?"

He smiled. "My parents don't need my money."

She thought he was crazy. "I'd get your flag."

He almost smiled at the absurdity. They were discussing his death. He nodded. "You would get my flag."

"What happens when you find your perfect girl? What about Tori?"

He looked into her eyes. She knew he was telling the truth. "I don't love Tori like that. It was a teenage romance. I'm not that boy anymore."

"But you deserve love and children."

"And so do you. The minute it doesn't work for either of us, we'll do what we need to do. I only want to take care of you and for you to be happy again."

"Your family?"

"Wouldn't need to know unless we decide we want them to. I would tell my brother, but I tell him everything."

She nodded. "My father?"

"Is glad I'm taking care of you."

"I don't know. This is a lot to think about."

"I know. I've been thinking about it for a few days. I want to take care of you and this is the only way I can really do it."

"I'm a burden."