part 54: best thing kept secret..

With that, the secret team had started their mission to try and soundly collect all of the loose gem pieces scattered throughout the temple without your or garnet's knowledge.

Surprisingly, everything goes smoothly in the shard hunt, particularly with pearl and amethyst, who were getting along quite well during the mission, cooperating swimmingly with one another, which, unbeknownst to them, gave joy to the younger gems; spinel because she just liked everyone working together and steven because he didn't have to witness the two bicker like they usually did.

Finally after an extended amount of searching and poofing, the makeshift hunters stood atop the highest fountain of pearl's room, doing a brief count of their collected shards. After ensuring the total, pearl nods to herself. "okay."

"That looks like all of them." Amethyst concluded, a note of relief in her voice.

Steven and spinel beamed brightly at their victory and high fived each other as they excitedly exclaimed in unison; "y
Yeah! Secret team!"

However, pearl hummed in slight uncertainty as she closer inspected the number of shards. "Are you sure we didn't miss any?"

"No way," Amethyst smiled up at the tall gem confidently. "We totally nailed this!"

"Yeah!" steven and spinel agreed, once again in cheerful unison.

Though she isn't fully convinced, she clears her throat in resignation. "If you're sure this is all of them, then we just need to seal it in a rose quartz bubble." This turns everyone's attention on the young hybrid as he's handed the shards. "Steven this is all you," Amethyst affirms giving her share of shards. "Think you can handle it?" Steven smiled reassuringly. "Yeah, I can do it."

"Of course you can!" pearl added with a cheery note. "You're part of the secret club!"

"...Secret team." steven and spinel corrected to which pearl smiled awkwardly, handing her shards over. "Ah, yes. Secret team."

"Yeah, that thing." Amethyst added, with a tad less enthusiasm.
~~~~~~~~~~~

In the burning room, steven's head pops in through the puddle of amethyst's room, preparing to return the pink bubble in its rightful place when he spots none other than garnet herself, standing conveniently beneath him.

And as if that couldn't get any nerve-wracking, the gem leader started to lift her head up, as if she sensed his presence.

This made the boy fly into an abrupt panic.
~~~~~~~~~~~~

The abrupt flailing startled the three gems, prompting spinel, who had her limbs wrapped around steven's waist, to yank him out of the puddle so she could check him over in concern. "Did somethin' happen?"

"G-Garnet!" Steven replied somewhat breathlessly, which made the two older gems to stiffen.

"Did she see you?" Amethyst asked anxiousnessly.

"I don't think so..." Steven replied, sounding mildly unsure.

"Then what are you waiting for?" Pearl quipped somewhat impatiently. "Go on."

Spinel pursed her lips at the sharpness in pearl's voice, but quickly dunked steven back into the puddle so he could finish the task at hand.

Once the bubble was put in its place, steven was pulled out of the puddle and set on his feet. Spinel gave him a bright smile as the other two gems got up from their kneeling position, relief written all over their features.

"Mission accomplished," Pearl stated, an air of achievement in her voice. "Congratulations, us."

Amethyst smiled in triumph. "Aww, yes! We're off the hook."