part 119: Dancing

After breakfast, the day carried on like it usually did; with Steven and Spinel playing with each other, you doing a few chores around the house and lion being off on his own, with the occasional "gift" back to you. but you couldn't help but notice the gems have been acting off again.

Notably Garnet and Pearl.

Amethyst still acted like her usual laid-back self, and would often share with you some ideas for tonight's dinner (some of which aren't exactly favorable) and would more-or-less spent most of her time lounging about in her room.

The other two spend most of their time in the temple as well, but whenever they did come out, they seemed to be very tense around you. Though Garnet was better at hiding her discomfort than Pearl was. Garnet would notably stiffen when you approached her and/or asked her a question, as for pearl, whenever you walked by her, she near enough ducked behind Garnet for cover. You found it to be vexing, but you decided to shrug it off.

After all, it's not like it's anything serious. You scared them again, and like the other times they'll get over it.

Besides, you have other things to worry about...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"A 5, 6, 7, 8!"

You paused your ingredient search through the cupboard as you heard pearl's voice sound from the living room.

Glancing over your shoulder, you found pearl snapping rhythmically with Garnet standing beside her, observing silently with her arms crossed. What's going on here now?

Closing the cupboard, you walked over to the pair, just in time to see Steven and Ameythyst dancing in sync with each other while Spinel observed near the warp pad, tapping her foot to a rhythm. Dancing?

Still snapping, Pearl calls out, "Synchronize!"

At this, Amethyst attempts to lift Steven up, but she was quick to lose her grip on him and he plops to the ground. This causes a series of giggles from the three gems at the lapse, making you grin a little yourself in amusement.

Pearl however wasn't amused. "Be serious." She deadpanned. "Your turn Spinel. Try and copy what you saw."

Spinel nods and repeats the dance Steven and Ameythyst did, though she was successfully able to lift him over her head. They still couldn't hold back their giggles, much to pearl's irritation.

"What's going on here?"

Pearl yelped, apparently unaware of you standing behind her. "(Name)! W-We were just-!"

"We're teaching Steven and Spinel how to perform fusion." Garnet explains, cutting pearl off.

"Er- Yes." Pearl quickly nodded. "See, it requires a special Synchronization dance in order to achieve it."

You tilted your head with interest. You weren't unfamiliar with fusions, given that you used one for a dinner meeting, But you didn't see how they fused, as you were too busy putting your outfit together. "Sounds... interesting."

Seeing the curiousity flicker on your face, she set a hand on your shoulder. "Why don't you watch us for a bit?" Garnet offered, gesturing to the two dancing gems. "Think you'll benefit from this."

You tilted your head. "Hm... sure." You nodded, not noticing the look of worry on pearl's face.
----------------------

"Pay attention now, you two."

You, Steven and Spinel watch as pearl and Garnet perform an elegant ballroom dance of sorts, with Garnet twirling pearl around with grace, ending with pearl being backed into a wall, with Garnet slamming both her hands on either side of her head into a pinning position.

"See?" Pearl beckons with her hand.

Your brow lifted as Steven and Spinel exchanged determined glances between each other.

Steven attempts to recreate the demonstrated dance, but his height fails him; as was too short to properly execute the required moves, and needed spinel to help him try to reach her height.

Spinel was next. She was notably better as she could easily stretch to meet pearl's height, though her movements weren't as graceful and slow paced as pearl's was. Her movements seemed to lean more towards a more animated, cartoonish dance, which left pearl mildly dizzy.

"Tone down on the energy." Garnet advised.

When you decided to give it a try, you did surprisingly fine with it. Despite your awkward movements, you were able to control your immense strength when twirling pearl and managed to keep balance on your hind-legs.

However, during the final part--

THUNK!

When you slammed your paws into the wall, the thick stone easily bent beneath your palms. You winced at the thin cracks that appeared under your paws. "Oops. Sorry."

"Uh

"Uh... I-I... th... that-that's fine." Pearl stammered, pointedly avoiding eye contact. Amethyst was snickering in the background while Garnet stood in a contemplative silence.

"...Maybe avoid the more forceful of dances."
~~~~~~~~~~

As the afternoon slowly started turning to night, the dances seemingly became more and more difficult as time progressed;

Ameythyst tried to teach you and Steven how to dance in a similar way to that macarana dance; which at first involved simple hand movements, but it fell short once she got to the body rolling movements, as Steven wasn't limber like she was and you simply had no idea how to do so with your body shape.

Next, Garnet tried to teach spinel and Steven one of her moves, which was a dance that involved moving their fists over their head in a specific pattern, but she was quick to gain a difficult speed, to which Steven couldn't keep up and spinel ended up beating her own head in the process of trying to keep up.

Then Steven tried to do a ballet duet with Pearl, but again, his height fails him, as when they went to twirl, he twirled in the wrong direction and smacked into her leg, with pearl looking at him in concern.

All three gems then tried dancing in unison with each other to aid with the teachings. They all started with snapping in unison, something that you managed to do with all four paws, but Steven and Spinel snapped off rhythm, pointing finger guns at each other.

Then when you all put one foot forward, he somehow put his hand forward.

When you all ran in one direction, Steven ended up running in another direction.

It all ended with everyone jumping gracefully into the air, with Steven trying to mimic them, only to fall back to the ground. Unfortunately when you landed, it created a resounding, loud THUD that knocked a few knick-knacks out of their places.

"...oops."