prologue: a beach!

you snort softly in indignant boredom as you slowly come to a stop at gnawing at a large tree branch. you spit out a few wood chips and bits of bark as and you throw aside your chewed, slobber slick branch. you rest your chin at your large hand-like paws, a pout on your face.

gah, how long has it been??

you throw your head back and peer through the thick canopy of leaves and branches at the sky. it was a dark blue/purple, sprinkled in small shiny white speckles. the large glowing moon hung high, lighting a substantial amount of the woodlands through the branches. you snort more in another surge of indignation.

wow. this method is not working anymore.

of course it didn't. you can only count the cycles of the sun and moon for so long. you've long since lost track. for all you knew, several years could have gone by! you groaned deeply and rose to you hands and hooves. after shaking the dirt and leave fragments from your thick mane, you trotted down the brown forest terrain, hoping to find some source of entertainment. all the while you just dully identified your surroundings passing by you.

trees, trees, dirt, leaves, trees.. more trees, even more trees... more tr-..

your thoughts were jumbled as you stumble over a steep ledge, landing on your back with a dull but loud THUMP, followed by a soft quake. then again, you can only see so much with long bangs in your eyes. however, instead of landing on normally, rocky, wood studded earth... the ground felt strangely soft beneath you. you sat up and glanced down, raising a heaping handful of the substance.

is this... sand..?

you open your palm and let it run off your palm, watching it fall. so this is what it is. you then jerk your head up at the sounds of water crashing. leaping onto all fours, you trotted over to the source, picking up the pace for a moment before braking into a full sprint, the ground quaking beneath each stride you took. when you got to it you stared at the moving water, almost amazed. it lapped at the shore gently, making rather soothing sloshing sounds in the air. it's like it's alive! you look side to side. it stretches far, doesn't it? you thought for a moment. how far?

with that, you trotted along the water's edge, watching it as it moved in erratic patterns; sometimes one wave was higher than the other, therefore it reached farther than the last. you were astonished at the "living" water. how it rolled up and down the shore was very new indeed! for most of your life (or as far as you remembered) water never moved in such frequency. while it would indeed ripple softy sometimes, either with disturbance or life beneath the surface, most of the time it was still. this was almost life altering! and as you looked out, it stretched much father outwards! incredible. This beats caves and trees any day. you then came to the end of the sandy beach. you sat on your haunches staring at the moon's barely visible reflection over the active water's surface.

you slid down and laid on your belly and stretch out, letting out a growl of contentment at the softness on your smoothed skinned body. in your contentment, you barely notice your vision fade into black.