part 109: Lion's mane plains

"What the...?"

You heard faint squeaking behind you as spinel walked up beside you. She yawned, rubbing her eye as she leaned against you. "Is everythin' okay out..." once she caught the sight of steven half-submerged in his lion's chest, her brow lifted in confusion. "Here?"

You both sat in a confused silence as you stared at the child who had his head completely engulfed into his lion's chest.

Spinel pointed to the odd sight and tilted her head. "Uuuhhhm...?"

Steven suddenly yanked his head back with a loud gasp, staring wide-eyed at nothing for a few seconds. He looked back at you both, as if he were asking if you both had seen it as well.

You and spinel side-glanced each other, mouths hanging open in disbelief and surprise.

He glanced back at his lion, who was staring back at him expectantly. He was hesitant, but he slowly pressed his hand into his mane again. Sure enough, the bright pink light shined around it as his hand sank deep into his chest. He takes a look back at you again, uncertain.

Your mouth slowly shut as you flicked your gaze up to meet lion's. He looked vacant like usual, but there was a very faint pleading look in his eye. He hasn't wronged me yet.

You snorted, nodding subtly.

He nods back, and after taking a deep breath, Steven plunged his upper body back into lion's mane.

"How's he doin' that?" Spinel scratches her head.

"(Name) doesn't fully know..." You muttered, eyes narrowing as your eyes scanned the lion's full mane. "...but this ability must have something to do with her."

"With who?"

Just then, Steven pulled his head out of Lion's chest, to stare at nothing contemplation.

"So what exactly is in-?"

Spinel was cut off by Steven quickly dunking his head back into the big cat's mane, only for him to swiftly pull it out.

"...So-"

He repeats the action again, once again interrupting the pink gem.

"...S-"

He does this head-in-mane dunk several times, giggling to himself in amusement until lion growls at him in irritation.

"Steven." You grunted. Normally you'd be somewhat fine with this, but it was late, and he was losing valuable rest.

"Sorry. I couldn't resist." He takes a deep breath and submerged himself into the thick pink fur, this time disappearing all the way into it.

"This is what lion's been trying to tell us?" You asked, to which lion does a nod-blink combo with a slight bow of his head.

"Ooohh, so that's why you were all clingy with him!" Spinel piped with a giggle, her cheery nature returning. "Why didn't ya say so in the first place?"

Lion grumbled at the remark, narrowing his eyes into a deadpan expression.

You rolled your eyes with a snort at the silly question, but walked up to stand directly in front lion with an air of curiosity. "Real question is, what's in it?"

Just then, Steven pokes his head out from the brush of light pink fur, startling you with a semi-loud gasp. "(Name)! Spinel! You guys gotta see this!" He exclaimed somewhat breathlessly, sticking his hand out to you, beckoning you forward. "Come on!"

"Wha-?" You blinked a few times, your eyes switching between Steven's face and lion's face. "Uhm...?" Could we even fit-?

Lion suddenly places his paw on your shoulder, his claws barely grazing your skin. You met his eyes and he snorted softly. A silent confirmation. You weren't necessarily certain with this, but again, you had no reason not to trust lion. You took a deep breath and glanced back at spinel. "(Name) will go first. Spinel follows after."

She's quiet for a second before nodding. "Okie dokie."

You turned back to Steven and took his hand, to which he carefully pulls you in.

You then emerged into a rather humid, plain, entirely covering in a thick pink grass. You went to sniff the air to get a feel of the unfamiliar landscape...

Only to find there was no air.

Of course it didn't bother you; you were a gem and air was optional, but now you didn't like the idea of Steven being in here since oxygen was very much a necessity. You turned to the child in question, just i time to watch him hoist spinel up into the pink plain.

Spinel looked around, her eyes glimmering in awe like they usually did when she was presented with something new. "Wowee!" She exclaims. "How'd all this get here?"

Steven's mouth moved, but for some reason, you couldn't hear his voice. I need to figure out a way to communicate here...

Steven motions you both to follow, pointing to a rather skimpy looking tree up on a hill, not like the oaks and pines you were used to. One you reach the base of it, you find there were various objects strewn around near the trunk; a slightly tattered Battle Flag waving in an unknown breeze, a long pink sword, a large T-shirt reading Mr. Universe, a small chest, a picture of Rose and Greg, and, strangely enough, a bubbled gem.

Spinel mouthed 'Oooooh!' smiling as you took a few tentative steps closer towards the tree, plucking the suspended shirt from its branch to stare at it in contemplation. So this is what lion was buggy about. You thought, looking around a bit more. Rose must have used him to store some souvenirs.

You hummed to yourself, before turning to the bubbled gem that floated near by.

Wonder who that could have been?

You felt a tug on your tail and find that spinel was pointing to Steven that held up what looked like a VHS tape, with his name scribbled onto it in cursive. He then hands you a small box to which you squinted at the words.

'For (gem)'

Your eyes widened slightly. What th-?

Your eyes flicked to Steven, and from the red hue on his cheeks, you could tell he was running low on air.

...Running low on air!?

With a burst of panic, you quickly lunged forward, plucking Steven up by his Pajama shirt, and picked spinel up into one free paw and raised down the hill to get the boy to oxygen as soon as possible.

That came quicker than you anticipated; during your haste, you failed to see a rock sticking up from the hill, and you trip over it, tumbling down the hill in a fluffy (color) ball and into the pink grass, near enough flinging out of Lion's mane and landing flat on your back with a yelp, much to the latter's alarm.

You lay sprawled on your back in a daze, with spinel draped over your belly and Steven sitting on your chest gasping for air, still clutching his VHS tape.

"Wha happened?" Spinel slurred, dizzy from the sudden tumble she had been subjected to.

Before you could think of a valid response; you heard a familiar voice from inside the beach house.

"...and he kept sleeping on his face! He was lucky (name) was there to keep him under some kind of control."

Steven looks at the gems through the window at the moment then down at the tape for a moment. Then he hopped off your chest, catching your attention. "Steven?"

Steven seemed determined with something. "...I'll be right back."

With that, he suddenly runs off towards the direction of the boardwalk, startling you. "Wha-!? Steven-!?"

You sat up, ready to chase after him-

"(Name)? Spinel?"

You froze.

"What're you both doing out here?"

You turned, and found that the gems were now standing at the door. Pearl's eyes then locked onto the shirt still gripped in your paw. Her brow knit, forming a look of curiosity and... surprise? "Where... did you get that shirt?"

Ah jeez. "Uhm-"

"Him."

Spinel pointed casually to the sleeping lion.

You sighed. This'll be fun to explain...