part 111: next morning

Later on that day, everything seemed to be virtually unchanged.

After you made breakfast like usual, you did some straightening up around the house, including spucing up Steven's surprisingly messy loft. And the others did their own things like usual; after pearl had made you (morning drink), she excused herself to her room, and remained in there for most of the morning with the other gems like they normally did.

Lion was his usual unpredictable self, with grooming your head out of nowhere and laying down beside you when you took breaks between chores, but the one thing you did notice was that he was starting bringing you things he'd find when he was out roaming about. You appreciated the sentiment, dead lizards and mice weren't exactly your thing.

Spinel was her usual chipper self, using her elasticity to get around, cracking a few jokes here and there, playing games and occasionally juggling, but you did notice that she was much more mellow and less bouncy like she used to be. She also seemed to have found a few activities to do by herself, mainly drawing or puzzles. She also liked books, but only the ones with the pictures in them.

And Steven was his usual cheerful self. He just seemed a bit more cuddly when than he usually was. Whenever he wasn't playing outside with spinel or when you were taking a break, he'd lay on your back or nestle against your belly until spinel came up with a new game or you got up to resume your chores. He'd also try to get you involved with some games he and spinel would play, including video games.

You didn't complain. You were just glad they were content.

It was around noon that you finally finished your chores and got some time to yourself. You decided you'd settle down and watch some TV with your brood for a while. You were laid in front of steven's bed, with lion laying atop Steven's bed and Steven and Spinel were nestled into your belly. You were currently watching an episode of The Crying Breakfast Friends, a show you found to be difficult to understand, but the little ones seemed to like it. Spinel was still a bit new to the show's concept, but she was able to get around the tears and enjoy it.

It was about halfway through the second episode was when Garnet came up to the loft, holding your bag and goggles. "C'mon guys. It's mission time."

The two young gems cheered and jumped up from their spot, racing down the stairs to meet with the other two while you slowly got up and after a brief stretch of your limbs, you let garnet slip your goggles on, and you take your bag. "Thanks."

As you made your way off the loft, the box from lion's mane caught your eye as you walked by the coffee table.

You were so busy with the morning, that you'd nearly forgotten the little trinket that had been presumably left behind for you

You were so busy with the morning, that you'd nearly forgotten the little trinket that had been presumably left behind for you. You felt yourself pause as you stared at the small cardboard box. Your eyes locked onto the masking tape label, which had '(gem type)' scribbled across it in cursive.

Your brow knitted when you re-read the gem name again.

"(Name)?"

You were snapped out of your thoughts at a calm voice beside you. "Hru?" You quickly turned your head towards Garnet, and you flinched upon seeing your startled expression in her visor's reflection.

"You alright?"

You stared in silence for a moment, your eyes darting towards the direction of the table for a moment before nodding. "...yes. Just thinking."

Garnet stood for a second, but nodded as you strode past her to join with the others on the warp pad.

Garnet spared a brief glance at the box before joining you and the others and warping away.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You all arrived at a surprisingly pleasant flower meadow, the floral fragrance hanging strong in the air.

"This way." Garnet gestured for you to go ahead. "(Name), you take the lead."

You nodded walked down the path Garnet had pointed down, with steven and spinel riding your back and the three crystal gems trailing behind you, with amethyst idly holding the tip of your tail.

"What sort of mission is this one?" You asked, your eyes occasionally flicking back and forth.

"It... involves another corrupt gem. I wanted you to try again with communication." Garnet explained. "But since this one is much bigger than last time, I figured we could use back up."

"And don't worry," You heard pearl pipe from behind you. "We won't intervene unless you tell us to."

You hummed softly, feeling a flash of uncertainty, but you shook it off and nodded. Second time's the charm, I suppose.

During your gem search, Steven and Spinel were casually playing patty-cake, but Steven notice that everytime spinel took her eyes off him to look around at the various flowers surrounding everyone, her bright smile would become a bit dimmed, almost looking like more of a sneer. She kinda looked... wistful.

"Hey, are you okay?" He asked, pausing their 5th round of patty-cake.

"Oh yeah... just uh..." she fiddles with her hands, her eyes idly flicking across the vast collection of heart shaped flowers, her smile losing its volume until it was barely a smile. "This place kinda gives me... nostalgia." Her voice lowered to a whisper at the final word.

"Really?" Steven sniffed, rubbing at his eyes a bit. "What's nostalgic about it?"

"Eh... you know..." She turned her head away from him to scan the healthy, vibrant plants. "Haven't seen this many bright flowers since..."

She looked back at Steven, and found that he was rubbing both his eyes with his palms. When he stopped to look at her, he had red, watery eyes.

"What?" He asked, his voice sounding funny from a stuffy nose.

"Uh." Spinel raised her brow and leaned back a bit. "You okay there?"

"I'm fine... I just think it's the..." he suddenly shudders, tensing up.

Spinel leans back a bit. "Steven...?"

"Ah... Aah..."

"Uuhm...?"

"ACHOO!"
~~~~~~~~~~~

Yeah, sorry it was a cardboard box; there's a lot to uncover there.