part 108: feline smotherings

"Alright, Get ready! Here it comes!"

You smiled, holding up a volleyball. With a flick of your arm, you threw the ball up into the air and with a firm swat, sent the ball flying over the net.

"Ooh! Ooh! I got it!"

"No, I got it!"

You chuckled to yourself, watching as your three opponents the other side of said net scrambled on their court, nearly trampling each other to return the serve, their eyes fixed on the airborne ball. They moved and scrambled in such an exaggerated manner; almost as if they were cartoons or video game characters.

Finally, one managed to gather her wits and set her one working eye squarely on her target.

"I got this one! Hyah!"

With a powerful bound, almost higher than the net itself, she does a brief twirl and with a karate like hit of her hand, she sent the ball back over to your side.

In response, you reared onto your hind legs and put your upper pair of arms together and bumped the ball with your forearms, returning it flawlessly over the net.

"Oh! Oh! My turn! My turn!"

Another one, notably smaller than her team mates, bounded from her spot. Not as high as her colleague's, but high enough to let her strike the ball back over to you using both her small hands.

With a grunt, you lunged forward and slammed the ball with your head, sending it back to the trio. The third player, who was notably larger and better muscled than his teammates, snickered and punched his fist into his other hand.

"Get ready for this one!"

He then jumped up, the force causing a small shockwave across the ground and roughly spiked the the ball back over you at the speed of a meteorite.

Undeterred, you snorted and mimicked his moves; you also jumped up and spiked the ball, only the power you put in the hit set the ball a ablaze, causing your opponents to cartoonishly cry out and scatter, leaving the ball to crash into the sand, embedding it deep into the ground.

You then hear a sharp shrill sound over the crashing waves and you turn to see sad apple, blowing into a whistle. They sniffled, and called with a cracking voice, "G-Game! (N-Name) wins!" They wipe at their eyes, trying to rid themselves of the steady stream of tears that seemingly poured out of their eyes. "Break time!"

You smiled, your tongue lolling out of your mouth as you panted heavily, with sweat dripping from your brow. "Hah! You were awesome out there, sensei!" You felt a small fist playfully punch your arm. "You must have been training big time for this."

"Yeah! Your skills are hoppin' high!"

"Heh. Thanks, hoppy." You smiled tiredly at your woodland opponents. "You too, hopper."

You grunted as a large hand clapped into your back. You turn to see a cheeky smiling fox face. "Careful though! We'll get ya next time!"

You returned the smirk. "Heh. (Name)'ll hold Foxman to that." You fist pumped the buff fox.

You all breathed out tired sighs, with Hoppy wiping sweat from her brow. "Well, we're gonna go recharge. See ya next round!"

With that, they walk off towards the nearby woods, and you sat down in the sand, putting a hand up to your forehead in an attempt to shade your eyes from the sun's bright rays. As you began to wind down and relax, you heard footsteps approach.

"You're truly amazing, (name)."

Out of the corner of your eye, you can see a soda being offered to you on a tray. "Thanks." You tiredly murmur as you accepted the beverage.