part 7: a bit of bonding

okay. it's alright now. you can come down.

you chuffed soothingly to the small centipeetle in your mane, holding an arm out for her to crawl down. after a moment of hesitance, she does so, snapping her beak a few times before turning to face you. you grin at her reassuringly and pet her soft mane gently, eliciting clicks and crackles of contentment. after a few strokes, centipeetle suddenly reared back for a moment, releasing a loud squawk of delight, startling the spying gems behind you, making them tense up and prepare for a fight. seemingly not noticing this, centipeetle suddenly drops into a playful crouch, her chest pressed into the sand and rear in the air, chirping in delight. she starts to run and prance around you, nipping at your mane every few seconds. you growled happily and rolled onto your back, allowing centipeetle to scurry onto your chest and nip playfully at your fur. this tickles you, and you wiggle and roar in amusement. Steven laughs at this, before turning to the gems behind him. "I'll take it from here. you guys can go inside."

pearl scoffed. "absolutely not!" garnet however, dispels her gauntlets. "he can handle it." pearl turned to the tall gem, bewildered. "Garnet!?" the latter looked at her calmly. "pearl." with that she simply walks away, with pearl reluctantly following as amethyst laughs at how she was jot down by garnet. with a small smile of satisfaction, he turns back to you and centi, who had calmed down a bit, with you laying on your back, holding little centi with a midpaw, lightly stroking her soft mane while she crackled in contentment. he sits down, taking in the tender scene for a bit longer, smiling warmly. after a few minutes, he reaches into his jacket, catching your attention. "hey, (name). why don't you have your new pal try these?" your eyes light up as he pulls a bag of those delectable chips from his jacket. he opens the bag, and takes a chip, popping it into his mouth before handing it to you. "here. have some!" you take it with your other midpaw, rumbling gratefully to the boy, reaching in and popping a tasty morsel into your mouth before taking one and offering it to centi.

she gives it a small sniff, chirping in delight at the scent and eats it from your hand. though your happy you both enjoy chips, you can't help but wonder how she's able to eat it when she's got an eye in her mouth. you chuffed dismissively at the thought before helping yourself to a few more chips, handing the bag back to steven. as centi nibbles the access chip residue from your chest fluff, Steven laughs giddily, running in circles around you, holding up a fist full of chips. "you love chips!" he sang as he tossed a few into the air, you and centi catching a few into your mouths. "and I love chips!" he laughs some more, triumphantly holding a fistful of chips in the air. "yeah!" during his joy fueled banter, a seagull caught sight of the chips in his fist.

"AAAH!!" you and centi pause your feast as the boy's sharp cry splits the air. there you see the fiend eating the chips that had fallen to the ground. "shoo! get!" steven hissed, waving his arms. "those aren't for you!" to your anger, the bird squawks aggressively at him, flapping his wings in defiance. the little--! you snarl and raise to your paws and hooves, while centi walks ahead, growling in agitation. she spits a splash of acid at the bird, prompting it to jump back slightly. Steven was startled at your sudden aggression, turning to you both in surprise. "wh-what are you guys doing?" he asks as you and centi advanced the winged creature snarling and drooling in anger. it flapped its wings and squawked at you both in retaliation, upsetting you even more. centi snarls back at it, spitting up another wad of acid at it, succeeding in making it take flight. at that point, you decided to let it know it wasn't welcome back.

your horns glow as focus your energy into your head, letting the heat build up as your eyes illuminated an ominous (color) glow. as the heat reaches its peak, you take a deep breath and spit an orb of crackling (color) energy past the bird, making sure it knew what's to come if it dared to come back and cause steven any more trouble.

you watch in satisfaction as it flew away with a squawk of terror. centi crawled up onto your head at this point, crackling in triumph at this brave victory.

"you guys..." you hear Steven's voice and turned to face him. he had an astonished look on his face.

"..saved me."

----(A/N)----

Yay, your first corrupted gem ability!

Generic maybe, an energy orb and what not, but this is the only thing I can think of.

The only tame one to start with that is.

Wink wink nudgey nudge