part 96: watermelon stand

"There. That's a mighty fine lookin' table." Steven takes a step back to admire his handiwork, tampering with a piece of hay in his mouth. "That's a mighty fine lookin' table. Wouldn't you agree guys?"

You cracked your eyes open to inspect at his set up yourself. It was a simple table layout, surrounded by the oddly-shaped fruit, with a simple sign reading "Fresh and New!!! Watermelon Stevens" with a smiley face and a few stars. And for the center piece of this stand was the small, lesser detailed melon figure, dubbed 'baby melon' by Steven himself. And beside it was your satchel, in case of profit. "Lookin' good." You purred light-heartedly while spinel gave him a thumbs up, sipping at her juice box.

"Steven! What's going on here?"

The farmer dressed boy flinched as he heard Mr. Smiley's miffed voice call from behind him, as the man approached with a displeased look on his face. "Do you got a permit for this set up??"

"Oh, uh... Hey Mr. Smiley!" Steven nervously greeted. He was so excited to share his melon creations, that he didn't even about getting whatever a permit was. "Um--"

"Oh, Heya, Mr. Smiley!" Spinel suddenly piped, making him look over at you both resting near the fruit stand.

His glare softened once he recognized you both

His glare softened once he recognized you both. "Oh ey, it's the mother alien everyone's been goin' on about!" He beamed, watching as the pink gem bounded off your back and skip over to him. He almost instantly forgot his irritation at the unsolicited fruit stand, and ruffled the pink gem's hair. "When did your mama get a collar?" You opened an eye, to peer discreetly at the man in slight modesty, while spinel simply giggled at the positive attention. "It's for our farm anesthetic!"

"Yeah! Here," taking advantage of the light mood, Steven picked up a ripe fruit and offered it to the man. "Here! Try one of our watermelon Stevens!"

Mr. Smiley took the offering and inspected it with a quizzical hum. "...Man, I don't know. It's kinda wierd lookin'." His eyes flicked up at spinel, who was leaning against the table.

"

"...buuut, I'll go ahead and accept your bribe." With one final pat to Spinel's head, he walks off with his new fruit boy.

"Our first customer!" Steven mused, sharing a high five with spinel.

No sooner than Mr. Smiley left, a familiar small blonde walked upto the stand, catching Steven's attention. "Hey there!" Spinel turned and smiled brightly. "Hey! Sadie!"

"Hey guys!" Sadie greeted warmly. She instictively reached over and gave you scritches behind your horn. "What's all this about?"

"Just a little side project we got going on." Steven states, his hands resting on his hips in a proud stance.

"Oh, really? Ha, that's great." Sadie smiles in interest, looking over the produce with interest. "How did you get such handsome watermelons?"

You grinned. "Let's just say there's a little Steven in everyone of them."

Sadie laughed at this, patting your head gently. "Great sales pitch, fluff." She finally takes her hand off your head and began to dig into her purse. "So, how much for one?"

"How much?" Steven was slightly surprised at the offer. "Uh.. we were just gonna give you one, Sadie."

"Come on, I insist." She pulls out a few dollars and offers them to the humble child. "I love supporting local businesses."

You stared at the money in modesty. Boy, she's even sweeter than the fruit we're giving away...

Snap!

"Whoa!"

Almost instantly, you recognized the snapping of a phone camera, as well as an obnoxiously familiar voice, and you felt your fur prick at a familiar blonde dreaded boy make his approach with his phone. "What's going on here??"

"Hey Ronaldo." Steven politely greeted while spinel nervously scuttled back away from him and ducked behind you with a whimper.

"Don't mind me," he muttered, uploading his watermelon picture to his phone. "Just doing some blogging about your wierd watermelons." He lets out an incredulous laugh as he began typing into his phone; "Check... out... these wierd... watermelons, guys... down by the funland... entrance... it's... really.... wierd..."

Grrrr...

Ronaldo looks up at a low, nearly inaudible growl and turned to the source. "Well well... don't mind if I do..." he sneered, now aiming his phone at you.

Snap!

"And... look... who's also... here... at the stand... looking a bit more... grumpy than usual... and the cub... seems a bit... more shy... today... must... be... that time... Of the month... for the queen behemoth..."

While Ronaldo was busy with his blogging, Sadie refocuses her attention on her transaction. "Steven, you shouldn't keep your customers waiting like this." She places the money on the table. "I'll just give five bucks and take one, okay?" With that, she takes a water melon for herself and leaves.

Steven still seemed a humbled at this and tried to call her back. "Sadie, wai-!"

"What?? You're only selling them for five dollars!?" Ronaldo exclaimed, the abrupt raise in his voice making you flinch back and made spinel shrink behind you. You fought down the urge to bat the fry boy away, and spoke in the most polite voice you could muster. "No, we are not--" you didn't get to finish as Ronaldo suddenly raised his arms up, grabbing a few bystanders' attention as he excitedly announced;

"HEY EVERYBODY!! COME GET A WATERMELON STEVEN! HE'S PRACTICALLY GIVING THEM AWAY! HURRY BEFORE THEIR GONE FOREVER!"

"No-!"

Within seconds, you were all swarmed with practically half the amusement park goers, creating a massive crowd around you all.

While the melons were now going fast, this crowd unfortunately had you and spinel fall victim to mass amounts of attention. Whether it be selfies, regular pictures, videos, or even just petting, it seemed that no one got enough of you. Even spinel found herself being overwhelmed by the smothering attention. As you were nearly suffocating by the amount of hands stroking your fur, you lifted your head into an annoyed exclamation,

"DANG IT RONALDO!!"