part 100: melon mourning

You grunted as you suddenly felt the crushing force of multiple soldiers leaping off of your back and head like a launch pad, completely abandoning their fight with the gems, and "guard" over you, as they went after their new target apperant target.

With the melons keeping you captive now distracted, the gems were finally able to collect themselves and hurriedly run over to your dazed, battered form. At once, they pulled up onto your paws and hooves. You wobbled slightly, your body aching from the crushing weight and heavy trampling you were subjected to, prompting garnet to press her hands into your shoulder to steady you. "Easy, (name)." Garnet cautioned, setting a hand on your shoulder while pearl delicately brushed the sand out of your fur.

"You alright, mama bear?" Ameythyst asked, patting your midarm. "You took quite a smothering back there..."

You grunted for a moment, dragging a paw across your sore face, feeling as though you were hit with by a meteorite. "M'fine." You grumbled into your palm, as you brushed your bangs out from your eye to peer at the spot baby melon stood. "...huh?" Your eyes widened as you saw a massive cloud of sand that enveloped the area, as well as the subtle sounds of punching and brawling filled the air. You felt an icy fear grip your chest.

What's going on over there!?

Where's Steven and Spinel?!

After a few minutes, the battle noises had faded to silence and the dust slowly dissipated. Brushing away the sand that managed to fly into your face, you blinked a few times to find that the army of watermelon humanoids had thankfully calmed down. But, oddly enough, were now standing still, crowding standing in some sort of circle. You squinted suspiciously at the display. "What the..."

What happened to my gemmies?

You felt pearl gently grip your midarm, as she looked at you in concern. "(Name), are you okay?"

You let out a huff through your nostrils, trying to ignore the icy anxiety that had gripped your mind. You lightly brushed pearl off you, and made a halting gesture to the concerned gems. "Stay here." You ordered as you quickly trotted over to the crowd, ignoring the residual soreness you felt in your limbs.
~~~~~~~

"Move, melon heads! Let (name) through!"

You effortlessly pushed your way through the melon patch, and found that in the center of the crowd was Steven and spinel. They were knelt over something. "Steven? Spinel?"

Spinel looked up at you, her eyes shimmering with sadness. "(Name)..." she gestured you over. "C'mere n' look."

With a confused hum, you slowly approached the two, and peered over Steven's shoulder to see what he was holding.

You let out a small gasp at the sight of what was left of baby melon, which was just a rind bowl filled with neatly cut melon triangles. "Oh..."

"He stopped the watermelons from fighting everyone else..." Steven explained solemnly, cradling his late melon creation. "By making them fight him."

He sat there for a moment, taking in the damage, before he suddenly swung around to face the mass of melons around him in rage. "Look at what you've done!" He exclaimed, holding up the remains for the melon soldiers around him to see. "You think I wanted this!? You should all be ashamed! He knew this is what it would take to calm your rage!" He stared down at what was left of his melon creation, his eyes becoming misty in grief. "He understood true loyalty...

There was a Mournful silence as the boy grieved over his fallen melon "son" as spinel patted his back in comfort, stifling her own tears. While you sat back on your hocks, feeling a sharp pull in your chest towards the small melon's sacrifice. He didn't even get to last a whole day on earth...

You then take in the fact that his melon kin didn't seem to be phased. They all stood in silence, watching with cavalier expressions.

You didn't know if it was because they didn't know how to react, didn't understand the damage they caused or they simply just didn't know what they did was bad...

...but all's you knew was that the lack of response made you feel a spark of anger flare to life in your chest.

With an angered snarl, you whipped your head around to roar at the spying soldiers. "Go! Melon Soldiers go and think about what they've done!" Your voice thundered across the beach, which succeeded in making a few watermelons step back. "And don't come back until you understand what baby melon has done for Steven! What baby melon has done for everyone!"

As soon as the demand was made, the watermelons departed from the area. You watched with silent anger as the melon army left the area, splitting into large groups; some stuck to traveling on land, while others walked into the ocean, opting to travel by sea.

As you watched them depart, you placed your forepaws on Steven and Spinel's back, to which they leaned into your chest.

"Spoken like a true King and Queen." Garnet noted as she and the Gems walked up to you.

"They don't need a king." Steven stated firmly.

You curled your lip into a sneer. "Or a queen. They're their own melons now."

You were dimly aware of the gems placing supportive hands on you as you watched the melon departure, with Ameythyst putting her hand on your midarm, Garnet placing a hand over your back and Pearl wrapping an arm around your forearm, giving it a sort of side hug.

Looking down at the young duo, you quirked a brow at the sight of them unconsciously munching at the melon Steven still held, to which the gems reacted with mild disturbance.

"Is.... Steven and Spinel going to be okay?" You asked gently, rubbing their backs in a gentle, soothing manner.

Steven and Spinel exchanged plaintiff glances between each other before nodding, huddling closer to you. "Yeah... we'll be okay."

You just hummed, hugging them close to you.

Thank you for your service little melon.