part 80: midnight mulling

That night, you couldn't really sleep well. Even with steven and spinel being safe and relatively unharmed, the events that occurred today swirled around in your head didn't help you relax. From Ronaldo's delusions, to steven's impulsive plan to fix him left you feeling too anxious to relax.

After tossing and turning on the ground, you sat up with a grunt, realizing that you weren't going to get any sleep under these conditions. I should get some air... even if gems don't need it..

Once you were sure steven and spinel were asleep, you snuck out of the front door and decided to just stand out on the porch, to listen to the crashing of waves to try and think and clear your head of the day.

How could he have thought that his plan wouldn't have any big consequences?

...more over, how could the fry boys, peedee especially, fall for something so ridiculous?

You sighed heavily as you sat on your haunches, closing your eyes as a cool breeze whipped through your mane, and filled your nose with the sweet seabreeze you've grown to enjoy. This is almost as good as that flower meadow in dreams. You rested an elbow on the porch railing and rested your cheek against your paw as your gaze slowly trailed up from the ocean view to the night sky, the stars glittering innocently in the vast darkness. "..hm."

Your brows started to knit in contemplation as your pupils started to unconsciously scan them again, your claw tapping against your head as if you were trying to get it to work faster.

Absentmindedly, you started to play with the soft petal of the pink flower that still resided on your head.

Your thoughts were interrupted by the sound of a door opening behind you. There was a pause, before you heard it shut again, as well as light footsteps approach you, and felt a small figure brush against you. You detected the sweet fragrance of honey and turned your head to see pearl standing beside you, hold out a cup of tea to you. "Thanks."

Pearl nods. "Figured you might need it... especially after tonight." You hummed and held the warm mug in in both your paws, its warmth and scent relaxing you. There was a silence between you both. Pearl finally spoke, but her voice was soft and slightly sheepish. "...are you okay, (name)?"

You just shrugged, keeping your gaze on the ground

You just shrugged, keeping your gaze on the ground. "(Name)'s fine. Just... overwhelmed with today's events. Steven and spinel's kidnapping scared (name)... steven's plan was... sweet but honestly not well thought out."

Pearl sighed. "I can understand that. He can be unpredictable at times." and leaned against the porch. "But... exactly what happened with you guys to make him do such a thing?" You scoffed and rolled your eyes. "Oh, Ronaldo took (name), steven and spinel on a scavenger hunt around beach city, in search of 'paranormal' occurrences." You sipped at your tea, and heard pearl scoff softly to herself. "Oh I see. And I'm guessing the images Steven had showed us were those 'paranormal' phenomenons?" You nodded, grinning in exasperated amusement. "Hmhm... like snakes or people are capable of such feats." You chuckled softly. "Even (name) knows gem activity when she sees them." You thought for a moment. "Exactly... what were those things? Like the red rocks growing out of the ground?" Pearl shrugged nonchalantly. "Oh, it's nothing special. Just remnants of a red eye we defeated."

"Ah... the holes in the cliff?" You asked, lifting your brow.

"Drill parasites from a corrupted gem that stood in a cave." She chuckled lightly, as if she were reliving a pleasant memory. "Took all day to defeat everyone of them."

"Uh-huh... and the pink flowers on the bin?" You brought your mug up to your muzzle; taking another long sip of your tea.

"Ah, those are from rose's moss."

You stifled a cough of surprise, prompting pearl to look up at you in question. "Rose... she made those?"

"Well, yes. She had the ability to create both sentient and non-sentient plantlife." She explained. You stared at pearl, your eyes slightly wide in surprise.

"Wow..." You muttered returning your gaze forward. "First there's lazuli that controls water, then there's rose that controls plants..." you huffed through your nostrils, grinning slightly. "And (name) thought the shape-shifting was impressive."

Pearl giggles softly. "Well, we are a superior race." You snorted. "Yeah, right." There was another period of silence as as you both just looked up at the sky in a wistful stare. "By the way..." pearl started, squinting her eyes. "What did Ronaldo keep referring to you as?" At this question your gaze fell onto the tea in your paws. In the moon's faint glow, you saw the faintest reflection of your face in the dark liquid. Your smile faltered slightly at seeing your own glowing eyes staring back at you. "...mother behemoth or... alien mother."

"Tch! The nerve..." pearl glared ahead of her, resting her chin in her arms. "Behemoth. The least he could do is acknowledge you by your name!" You shrug, smirking smuggly. "Well, the "mother" part is accurate at least." You both giggled amongst each other. "I suppose you're right on that."

You both snickered as you continued to stargaze, once again plunging you both into a peaceful silence.

"Well... I'm gonna be heading back inside." Pearl stated straightening up, stretching slightly. She set a hand on your shoulder, offering a light-hearted smile. "Goodnight, (name)."

"Goodnight, pearl." You said over your shoulder, watching as she disappeared into the beach house.

You stood out there for a bit longer, sipping your tea, and watching the scenery ahead of you, feeling much calmer and lighter.

You smiled to yourself, looking out at the scenery. Earth is quite the place to be.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After a bit more of stargazing and ocean watching, you decided it was time to go back inside, you prepare to turn in for the night.

However as you laid down, you saw steven's phone on the table.

"Hm..."

Out of curiosity, you picked up the small device and turned it on, opening to the outlandish site that was ronaldo's blog. Thankfully, steven's plan wasn't in vain, and the post stating the blog's shut down was removed and instead, there was a new article posted in place of it.

You squinted your eyes at it, at the bold headline with a small sneer of curiosity.

The... Great Diamond Authority?
~~~~~~~~~~

This one was a bit dry, wasn't it?