part 127: hospitable monstress

"Goodness, what's taking her so long?"

Pearl fretted, checking outside the screen door, anxiously scanning the beach again for any signs of you. For the past 30 minutes, Pearl has been pacing back and forth in the living room, anxiously waiting for your arrival back. "It shouldn't take this long to find Steven-- I-I mean Stevonnie."

Garnet, who was leaning against the warp room entrance, calmly tweaked her visor, before crossing her arms again. "She's coming, Pearl. Just give her time."

"But it's nearly midnight, she should've been back an hour ago! Or earlier!" Pearl insisted, biting her thumb anxiously. She looked back out the door, growing more anxious by the second. "What if something happened? Should we go out to look for them? Oh, we should've given (Name) a phone or something!"

Spinel, who was laying on the couch, stretched in a cat like manner before calmly rolling onto her back. "I don't think you should worry so much, Pearl. Mama can handle anythin'." She smiled tiredly but confidently, playing with strands of Lion's mane, who was laying beside the couch, mirroring her tiredness. "I just hope she gets home soon. I wanna get some sleep."

Pearl stared out the screen door for a few moments more before letting out a soft sigh turning away from the door, muttering softly to herself as she started pacing again. "No pressure, Pearl, no pressure. No pressure..."

A soft scoff interrupted Pearl's mantra, and she looked up to find Amethyst at the temple door with a bored expression.

"Chill out, P." Amethyst quipped as she made a beeline to the fridge for a night time snack. "It's not like Mama bear's in any danger." She smirked as she rummaged through for a moment, pulling out a sandwich you had made in advance for her. "Heck, the only one that's in danger is whoever gets on her bad side!"

"That-- That's the thing...!" Pearl paused to look at her teammates with a troubled expression. "What if something occurred and she--?!"

Pearl is cut off by the door suddenly opening, and a large figure pressed herself through the door, wearing a bright, cheerful smile, chuckling to herself. Held in one arm were two smaller figures that were giggling amongst themselves.

"Hi guys!" Steven waved with a free hand. "We're back!"

Pearl blinked. "O-Oh!"

"Mama (Name)! Steven! Connie!" Spinel instantly hopped up and jumped into your arms, pressing her face into your fur, humming contently at the softness of your fur. "Mmmnnn, I missed you guys!"

"Sorry for the wait, sweets." You said, nuzzling the top of her head comfortingly.

"(N-Name), what took you so long to find them?" Pearl asked worriedly, walking up to you and setting a hand on your shoulder. "Where did they go? Did something happen? You're not hurt, are you?"

"We're fine, Pearl." You assured, still smiling as you lightly brushed her hand off your shoulder with your midpaw, and held it to reassure her. "Just got a little caught up in a little jam." You gave Steven and Connie a playful nuzzle on the top of their head, causing them to giggle. "But we're okay now."

Pearl hummed, still looking uncertain as she turned her attention towards the two children in your arm, scanning them briefly in concern. "Are you both okay?"

"Yeah, we're okay." Connie affirmed with a nod of her head. "We just went dancing."

"Yeah! Oh, hey, (Name), can Connie stay for dinner tonight?" Steven looked up at you with hopeful eyes.

"Mn? Isn't it a bit late for Connie to stay for dinner, Steven?" You asked with a tip of your head, noting it was nearly midnight. Steven's eyes turned into that infamous puppy dog stare.

"Awh, Pleeeeease?" He pleaded, clutching your chest fluff. "Come on, Connie's never had your cooking before! Pretty please?"

You hummed in thought, briefly looking outside at the night sky, with worry. "Well..." You said, thinking for a moment. Despite it being quite late, you didn't know when Connie had last eaten. And given the ordeal she and Steven had gone through, she must have been hungry as well. After a moment, smiled warmly to him. "...Okay."

You almost chuckled at the way his eyes lit up in excitement. "But afterwards, Connie must get home." You stated firmly. "(Name) doesn't want her mother to worry. Okay?"

"Yes, ma'am." Both Connie and Steven spoke in unison, with the latter saluting you. "Thank you so much!"

You nodded and turned to lion, whom sat tall and at attention when you made eye contact with him. "Can Lion take Connie home after dinner?"

The pink feline responded with a slow blink and nod of his head in silent confirmation. You nodded back to him, before returning your attention back down to the three smaller figures in your arms. "Does Connie want anything specific?"

"Oh! Uhm..." She seemed surprised by the offer and she shrank a bit in modesty. "I-I dunno, I guess anything Steven will have?"

"Oh, Connie, you're gonna love this!" Steven stated excitedly.

"(Name) always makes the best dinner!" Spinel adds giddily.

You chuckled softly. "Of course."

"(Name) only the best for her little ones

"(Name) only the best for her little ones."

As Amethyst sat herself at the stool, and Garnet smiled at the display, Pearl blinked.

"...her little ones?"

~~~~~~[after dinner]~~~~~~~~

"So, what did you think? It was good right?"

Steven asked excitedly as he lead Connie outside to the porch, with lion following.

"Yeah! Really good!" Connie affirmed cheerful. "When did she learn how to cook?"

"She figured it out after she learned how to talk. And ever since then, she's been improving a lot lately!" Steven exclaimed, jumping joyfully of the last staircase. "She can even bubble stuff now!"

"Really?" Connie eyebrows raised in surprise as she followed him down the stairs. "Do you think that... she's slowly healing?"

Steven stopped his run as the question hit him. "...I dunno. I think so." A troubled expression briefly crossed his face. "We... still don't know anything her past yet."

Connie hummed, squinting at in thought. "...maybe the maternal behavior is part of her past?" Connie suggested.

"Like maybe she was a denmother or something?"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And I must end it on that question.

Sorry for the wait, I just had writers block~