part 75: sneople???

"You're ready for what I've found; The cause of beach city's paranormal activities."

"Wait, what?"

Steven asked out loud in sync with your thoughts, as you took another handful of fries from spinel as you trotted up the stairs of a seemingly abandoned lighthouse that Ronaldo had lead you all to, occasionally snorting at the dust that tickled your nose as well as the the musty scent of old wood and sea air infused concrete. "I wonder what it could be, (nickname)?" Wondered spinel out loud, popping another handful of fries into her own mouth. "Bet it's gonna be just as cool as all the other stuff we saw!"

While you nodded light-heartedly, inwardly, you weren't incredibly interested.

It lead to the it's lantern room, which was substantially furnished room, complete with a messy desk, crates full of who knows what and various posters decorating the wall. "Oooooh..." you hear spinel mutter in amazement, as you yourself looked around with a both interested but dry expression. "Impressive."

"Welcome to my office. Go that way." Ronaldo states, then gestures for you and steven to look behind behind the massive lantern in the center of the room revealing a chalkboard. "Welcome... to the TRUTH!" He exclaimed, as you all walked over to the board. As your eyes scanned over the various news paper clippings, steven and spinel's focus was on the large sign in the center of it. "Snake people?"

"Snake people, or sneople, control our government at the highest levels!"

Oh boy. here we go.

"Look!" He then pulls out a dollar bill, pointing to each picture on it. "The snake represents their hold on our country. The diamond represents their underground mines or their sharp teeth." He put away the dollar, looking more resolved than ever. "The details aren't important. They pit us mammals against each other with elections, sports, and animals message boards! We spend so much time over fighting over dubs and subs that we miss the big picture!"

"What's that?" Steven asked, apparently hanging on every word from the conspiracy speech.

"The the world is under their control."

"...tch. Impossible."

"Huh?!" Spinel and Steven gasped at your flat response, earning a mildly surprised expression from Ronaldo, as you stared at him with a bored glare on your face.

"(Name) doesn't believe Ronaldo. His truth is illogical and makes no sense to her." Ronaldo seemed floored with your skepticism. "But, the proof is all there!you saw it all, didn't you?!" You snorted. "It doesn't add up to (name). Ronaldo reading too much into it." With a chuff, you stood up, and turned to the door. "Thanks for the scavenger hunt, but we must go now." You nudged the boy towards the door. "Come on." You urged, ignoring his slight fussing. "Aww, but (name)-!"

With no other words, you ushered him out the door, with spinel waving cheerfully to the blonde lad one final time, not noticing the dark, yet contemplative expression on his face as he watched you leave.

"That's interesting..." he turns back to the chalk board, rubbing his chin. "Seems that the sneople control can effect those from another planet as well."

He then squints his eyes in further thought. "Or... maybe..."
~~~~~~~~~~

"Ridiculous..." You muttered, walking away from the lighthouse, shaking your head with a bitter expression on your face. "Sneople. Where does he get it from?"

"Do you really not believe Ronaldo, (nickname)?" Spinel asked, folding up the now empty fry bag, and tucking it into your satchel. "(Name) just doesn't think that Ronaldo's claims match with what we've seen." You replied matter-of-factly, with a shrug. "Red rocks in the ground? Pink gem flowers growing on a bin? That doesn't look like something a snake or a person could produce alone." Inwardly, you had to admit, while those occurrences struck you as odd, you knew that those didn't come from, snakes, people or organics in general. "Besides, if the so called "sneople" knew about Ronaldo and his attempts at "exposing" them, wouldn't they have done something to stop him by now?"

Spinel tilts her head, tapping her chin with a her face scrunched up in thought. "...Yeeeah, that makes sense. That stuff sounds a bit fishy now that ya say it like that." She then turns her attention to steven, who was walking ahead of you. "What do you think, stevie?"

He didn't answer. He instead kept his gaze on the ground, in deep thought. He looked quite troubled as well. "Steven?" Spinel asked, lifting a brow in concern, as she leaned forward for a better look at him. You frown at his troubled silence as well, narrowing your eyes slightly for a better reading on his expression. He doesn't actually think any of what Ronaldo said was real... does he?

"Steven-?" Just then, you all find a small green snake laying a few paces away from, it's forked tongue flicking out as it hissed softly, then slithered off innocently. Huh... didn't think they'd wander this far from the woods. You tilted your head to the side slightly but shrugged, returning your attention back to steven. Who looked almost horrified.

...actually drop the 'almost'.

"AAAAAAAAHHH!!"

You flinched at his abrupt cry of terror, watching with wide eyes as he suddenly fled down the hill, before you could even utter a syllable. Spinel herself was startled by this, and called out to him. "St-steven!? Hey wait! What happened!? Wait up!" At once, spinel suddenly springs off your back, clumsily giving chase after the boy, leaving you alone in a flabbergasted silence.

After taking a moment to process what had just happened, you give a tired groan, sliding a paw beneath your bangs to pinch the bridge between your eyes in exasperation. "Oh steven..."

Bless the young boy, but his gullibility might get him into trouble.