Chapter One.

Down The Portal Pond

Life is such a beautiful gift from the Almighty. But humans are temporary owners of it.

When fate takes a different turn, life becomes obscure.

One day, a faithful soul pleaded the heavens to spare her offspring a life. The mother faced a consequence for creating such a sacrifice. If her daughter is given another chance to live, she'll disappear in the month of everlasting snowfall.

The month of dispersion.

Nineteen years ago, Yuna lived with her mother in a hanok village in Jeonju. They both stayed with the guesthouse owner temporarily. Her mother, Yoomi, worked as a gardener in the cottage. The owner grew fond of them. The landlady treated them like a family.

Their temporary living soon became a four-year rent. Yuna already turned four by that time.

The hanok felt nice and comfortable. There's a Koi fish pond at the backyard. When the sun rose, Yuna stayed there to play.

A young man sat beside her. He pushed his thick-rimmed glasses on the bridge of his nose. The landlady's grandson watched the little girl scribble on a drawing pad he gave her.

"What's that?"

The scribbles showed a grotesque version of a goblin. Two sharp teeth protruded above its mouth with a tongue sticking out. The short and stubby creature held a magic wand. Below her drawing is a word written in squiggly letters.

"It's a goblin," she said.

"Grandma told me about the goblins and guardians. She also told me you believe them!" she exclaimed enthusiastically.

Taehee smiled at her.

"Do you still believe them?" Yuna sheepishly asked. The young man shrugged, glancing back at the dimmed sky.

Taehee nodded. "He's in the otherworld."

"Otherworld?" Yuna's eyes lit up. "Yes, other world. Do you want to know how he end up there?"

Yuna nodded her head eagerly, moving a bit more beside him. He chuckled then continued where the story ended last night.

A tall stem sprouted inside the ornamented vase as the goblin fluttered his fingers immensely to make the yellow petals bloom. He touched the petals softly. The yellow and orange hues mixed perfectly.

It was only at this moment that he considered growing a flower in the middle of the night. Oftentimes, customers visit the shop and see his creations by the doorway. He never use his magic in the real world as to not scare the mortals away. Now that he's free to do whatever he wants, it bore him to simply do nothing in the Magic Shop.